Author Topic: 264 Win Mag ??????????  (Read 531 times)

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
264 Win Mag ??????????
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:00:34 AM »
Just started loading for the 264. I'm a little uncertain about the OAL of this cartridge. I know all rifles are different. The OAL of a factory round, Win & Rem is at  3.310. These rounds are of different diameters at the frontal area (below the o give) This area measures .254/.255 and the base of the bullet is .264 dia. Here's the question.
When I attempt to load the Sierra 140 gr bullet I cannot get it to chamber unless I use an AOL (appx 3.150 + or-).
When I used the split case and used the Sierra bullet to check the measurement to the lands, I got a measurement of 3.163. So, I assume that an OAL of 3.143 (20 thou off the lands) would be safe to load. It chambers just fine.
Please feel free to give me your input on this round before I attempt to shoot it.
If anyone has reloaded the Rem 140 gr. Core Lokt.PSP. would you please give me some actual measurement on round. If I ordered this bullet, I would like for it to be the same as the factory round.

Hope I havent confused everyone with this long saga

<")))><.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 264 Win Mag ??????????
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:24:11 AM »
I am a bit confused... You know the max OAL for your bullet. You can adj that down to .10 off the rifling. As you said every every barrel is different. Anything anyone gives you won't really be useable as your chamber dictates.

The 140 is a good bullet and the 264 mag is known as a barrel burner with the lighter bullets and higher velocities.

I never had one. But I do have a 6.5x63. I like the 125/129 bullets at 3300 fps I also have a 6.5x55 I shoot 140 AMax from it for nice little groups!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:41:55 AM »
CW
   What makes it really confusing is the difference in the diameter of the factory bullet and the diameter of the Sierra that I am wanting to load. The rem bullet is 10 tho. less in size ahead of the cannalure and larger at the base. The Sierra bullet is .264  below the o give all the way to the base. This totally changes the OAL completely. The Rem and the Win bullets stick up in the barrel around 5/8 in because of it's smaller diameter. Yea, I know it's confusing to read this stuff, but you should be here at the loading bench to really get confused.
      Thanks for the post.
                                             <")))><

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:44:59 AM »
Trying to get the OAL into a standard action without having the bullet take up extra space in the cartridge was the reason Winchester came up with that "bore rider" type bullet. If you use any other bullet with the same weight you need to seat the bullet deeper, period. Going BT only aggravates this and going Barnes etc even more so.

I don't recall the Rem loads using a similar type bullet as they didn't come on the market for several years later.

At the time I had a 264 Win H-570 and H-870 were the slowest powders available.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
CW
   What makes it really confusing is the difference in the diameter of the factory bullet and the diameter of the Sierra that I am wanting to load. The rem bullet is 10 tho. less in size ahead of the cannalure and larger at the base. The Sierra bullet is .264  below the o give all the way to the base. This totally changes the OAL completely. The Rem and the Win bullets stick up in the barrel around 5/8 in because of it's smaller diameter. Yea, I know it's confusing to read this stuff, but you should be here at the loading bench to really get confused.
      Thanks for the post.
                                             <")))><

I am betting some of those bullets are designed for the "other" 6.5 caliber rifles...

If you do a search of the various military 6.5's you will see a comonality. All have very long protruding bullets! NOT so with the 264 mag!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:18:40 PM »
Thanks CW and BBF
   I think I finally got it all together. After calling Rem and talking with a lady that seemed to know what she was talking about, I think I'll load a few tonight and go shoot in a day or too. I've been loading over 50 years and this was a first for me. The comment BBF made about the "barrel rider" bullet was a good explanation.
   CW did I just see you post something about use a LEE PRODUCT.  Mmmmmm ;D Interesting.
                      THANKS FOR THE REPLYS

Jim    <")))><

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »
Yes,  heavier bullets for 6.5s are often of a "two diameter" style. The nose area is smaller in diameter and rides on top of the lands, and the back part of the bullet is of full groove diameter to fit snugly in the case, and to engage the barrels rifling. It is important to understand which style bullet you're dealing with, and use the correct loading data for that specific style of bullet, if not even the bullet manufacturers supplied data.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 04:36:15 AM »
After reading the last several posts I recall shooting a Woods Caribou with the 264 Win. The bullet was an old style 125 gr Nosler PT
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »
After reading the last several posts I recall shooting a Woods Caribou with the 264 Win. The bullet was an old style 125 gr Nosler PT

I use this bullet allot in my 6.5/63 and like its performance.  Generally speaking I like the heavy for caliber bullets. But I built this rifle to be a long range deer/Antilope rifle so these 125/129 g bullets are preferred. The fact that they shoot .05 MOA isn't hard to digest either!!  LOL

CW

NRA LIFE Member