Author Topic: Handloaded shotshells for wild turkey?  (Read 731 times)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Handloaded shotshells for wild turkey?
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:14:20 AM »
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting back into turkey hunting this year and want to load my own shotshells.  I am planning to use my 28" 20ga single shot.  The barrel is threaded for tubes so I will be able to test patterns with different chokes and find out which works the best.   I have virtually the identical gun in 12ga so I may load and test with this one as well.  My thought is to approach turkey like I do deer in archery season, if it isn't instead about 30 yards then I am not going to shoot. 

I would like to hear from those that have actually shot a Tom with their own handloaded shotshells.  Any load information regarding shot size, powder, hulls, wads, etc. would be appreciated.   

thanks

BB

RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Handloaded shotshells for wild turkey?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 08:11:13 AM »
I've reloaded 12ga shot shells to use for turkey hunting for quite some time but I don't have the info handy at this time. I know I loaded #5 & #6 shot. I used a lymans shotshell reloading handbook which was very helpful. It has been a few years now since I loaded any so my info might be a bit dated anyway. I also loaded for quail & pheasant, but there isn,t enough around to hunt anymore besides I probably wouldn,t last very long these days. I think it would be in you're best interests to see if you can find a current shotshell reloading manual.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:16:51 AM »
I recommend #5 if you use the 12 gauge and #6 if you use the 20. I reload for 16 gauge only so I'm not sure about wads and hulls but I know that Unique powder works well for 1 1/8 oz. loads in the 16 gauge. I know Unique works well for 12 and 20 also so you might want to start there if you have any. I've never killed a turkey with a reload, I always use factory Federal ammo but now you've got me thinking, I might have to try it this year. 30 yards is definitely a safe bet, you can stretch that a little if you know the patterns though.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Val

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »
consider copper or nickel plated shot which is harder and yield better penetration.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline omegahunter

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 04:16:41 AM »
Couple years ago I shot my first turkey and it was with a home-rolled 12 gauge 3 inch.  I would have to look in the Lyman manual to know the powder charge, but it was Winchester hulls, Winchester red wads, nickle #5 shot, and I believe Blue Dot powder.  Distance was 46 yards and it was a bang-flop!  I had patterned the load out to 45 yards with both #5 and #6 and was plenty satisfied with my coverage with the #5's.

I do remember that I had to throw my powder charges with my RCBS measure as I could not duplicate the grains in the manual by using the powder bushings of the loader.  Bushings were throwing too light and too heavy.  I never did try to chronograph the load to see if it matched the manual.