Author Topic: Had the .270 and HMR out today  (Read 344 times)

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Had the .270 and HMR out today
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:27:32 AM »
First day out to the range with the .270 in months now. Since the last time out, I got the barrel locking up nice. today the wind was light at 5mph so it was a good day to sight in the scope. Played around at 100 yards first and was getting sub 2" groups from my best performing load. I saved 4 rounds of what will likely be my coyote load. 48.0 gn IMR 4350 , 3.230" oal with 110gn hornady v-max. under 4" 200 yard 4 shot group with 2 in the same hole is great considering my poor rest. I think this load is easily better than MOA off a proper rest. All i had with me today was my shooting bag, forgot my sand bag's :'(  at home. The bag was touching the barrel significantly and no doubt accuracy was affected somewhat but i wasn't driving home to get the proper bags.

Take a look at the group with the sportster .17HMR. under 3" at 200 yards off the same crappy rest too. It was around .75" at 100 yards.

Now if we would only get some snow in Canada this year maybe it will cause some daytime yote activity to try out the .270 this year. Haven't seen a single coyote yet during the daytime and our winter weather has been the warmest in history. Only about 5 days of snow on the ground since december 1st and a few days in the 55-60 degreee F range :o . I could have used my lawnmower more this winter than my snow shovel  :o

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Had the .270 and HMR out today
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:20:50 AM »
Adam,

Looks like you are ready for Wiley. ;D   I loaded up some Rem corelokt 130 grainers for my 270 win summer before last before it went on the disabled list.  Headed to the range today and see how they fly.  I have five different powder charges, hopefully one will behave. 
Question.  After you fire your 270 have you looked at the gun before you open it to see if there is any light at the top of the action?  I just "rebuilt" the pivot and latch on mine and it shows a tad bit of movement after each shot but seems to shoot okay. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Had the .270 and HMR out today
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
Hey BB

I hope your .270 turns out to shoot for you. I know you have had some issues getting it fitted to your receiver. My barrel doesn't move at all but i had to install a .001" shim on the hinge pin because I could get the barrel to move ever so slightly side to side with the forend off if I torqued it hard enough by hand, my .270 was purchased new as a complete gun. Since shimming it has been tight.

I loaded up some nosler 130 grain silvertips last night during the 2nd half of the super bowl. I hope they shoot well for hunting purposes. I am more than happy with 4" 200 yard groups with 110 grainers in the pic above. They would have likely been alot smaller off a better rest too. I just ordered a 2-7x scope to replace the 5-15x that is going to end up on my .223 bull barrel,  so if i can keep the 200 yard groups under 4" with the 2-7x i will be really happy.

My only experience with .270 loads comes with IMR 4350. All my decent shooting loads used 50gn or less of powder, there is no need to load it any hotter than that for me, with loads in that range it was blowing holes in the berm at the range that looked big enough to put a 1 gallon milk jug into with the v-max bullet, when i shot coyotes last year with this load it destroyed them to the point you don't want to try and pick them up because they might tear in two. I am going to get some H4895 and some barnes TSX 150 grain bullets and load the rifle down to about midway between a 30-30 and .270. My whitetail hunting this year is going to involve a ground blind and shots of no more than 100 yards with 20-30 yards being more likely. I have found loads in the start range of powder charge to be most accurate from my .270 and still give me loads of power for any of my hunting use.