Author Topic: 38-55 bullets  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Creedmoor

• Trade Count: (0)
38-55 bullets
« on: November 04, 2003, 12:22:39 PM »
I need some advice on bullets for my newly acquired Marlin 336 chambered for 38-55 Winchester / Ballard.   My bore mikes out as having .3795 grooves.  Using 31.5 grains of Reloader 7 powder, Win LR primers and 240 grain RNFP (.380?) True Shot (Laser Cast) bullets I get a velocity of 1,972fps (avg. for 10 shots).  My rifle has a 24? barrel and does not show any sign of leading with this load

I will be casting my own bullets using Lyman?s 375248 mould (no gas check) which makes a 249 grain pill with #2 alloy.  The mould drops bullets measuring .379? in diameter which I size down to .378? and lube using an RCBS LAM2.  I assume that with powder charges in the same range as used with the True Shot bullets, my velocities will also be in the near 2,000 fps bracket.

Now for my questions.  

Should I be using #2 alloy or something harder / softer?  I want to hunt blacktail deer and maybe black bear.  With my 45-70 on elk, I am told I should go harder (405 grains at 2,000 fps) as I want penetration and don?t need expansion as a .458? hole is ample.  Is a .378? hole good enough, assuming great penetration, for deer/black bear, or do I need expansion too?  Would linotype be too hard and risk shattering the bullet if bone is hit?  Will # 2 alloy lead my barrel at this velocity?  I hate scrubbing lead out!!!

Thanks for any help.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
38-55 bullets
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 03:03:11 PM »
It seems to me that you may have an oversize bore (or an error in measurement). And then you are sizing your bullets at a less diameter. You may be asking for  quick throat errosion doing that if you use 'hot' powder or high speed. As to being adequate for whitetails or bear: a moderately loaded 38-55 250+/- grain bullet WILL do the job if you target the heart/lungs and are steady on the pull. Hitting the front leg bone is problematic whether you use #2, linotype, or even jacketed bullets. 8)