Author Topic: reloading barnes for h&r 308 bull  (Read 262 times)

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
reloading barnes for h&r 308 bull
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
Hey all I am new to reloading. I am trying to get some loads worked up for my 308 dicks special all stock, o-ring floated barrel.
 Ok so my first 24 reloads all fired without fail. I still have both arms and no xtra holes anywhere except the target. ;D ;D ! I can only get  to 50 yards behind my barn so thats what I am working with for now. I used sierra 150 fmj and hornady 165 sst with starting loads moving up 1/2 grain each 4 shots with vargett powder. The best so far was hornady 165 sst 3/4 inch 4 shot group at 42 gr. Next up is barnes 165 ttsx. This is where I need a little help from my fellow handiolics. Barnes says seat .030-.070 from lands. I put a barnes bullet in a case to find how far my lands are [from the faqs tip]. Locked it in the gun. The results with 3 seperate tries are 3.061/ 3.061/ 3.062/ So does that mean I should seat these barnes to  2.992 coal. The barnes sight says coal 2.810. Please help I need to shoot some more!!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: reloading barnes for h&r 308 bull
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:45:58 PM »
As a rule, I like to keep .125 of the bullet in the case, as long as you have that much, seat to what ever you want. Seating longer than recomended, as long as not too long meaning, your not into the rifling, it is not a problem. (FYI, I like a little more in the case in a Box or Tube mag)

Handis can have long throats in some calibers, short throats in others and too small in still others... Checking is the only way to know.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.