Author Topic: Proof Load New Tube  (Read 1721 times)

Offline The Hayman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Proof Load New Tube
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »
 I’m a new guy here. I have been incredibly impressed with the knowledge, skill, passion, and patience of the members of this board. I have been reading through the old posts (196 pages of subjects, some of those subjects are 24 pages of posts, and I have about 175 pages of subjects to go). I feel as though I am just starting to get to know some of you, a wonderful group of people!
I belong to a yahoo group (F-boats, a folding trimaran designed by Ian Farrier, http://www.f-boat.com/ ). There are 4876 members in that group. Sometimes there is a new guy who doesn’t understand that discussion and argument are not the same thing, who will make personal attacks, and upset everyone with their lack of good manners. Those who do this are put on moderation, that is when they make a post it goes into a file and is held there until a moderator reads and approves it for posting. It is a burden on the moderators, but it works very well at keeping the discussions civil. I don’t know if the mechanics of this board will allow for this type of oversight, but it has worked very well on the F-boat list, and some of those who came in all puffed up turn out to be alright. They actually learn a little bit about how to constructively deal with others (something I am have struggled to learn myself), as well as about the boats. Anyway, I have been trying to hold my tongue, but thought I’d throw out my experience for all to cogitate on.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 11:42:28 AM »
Hayman-

WELCOME to the board!  We'd love to see some pictures of what you like to shoot - start a thread!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »
Hayman-

WELCOME to the board!  We'd love to see some pictures of what you like to shoot - start a thread!

CW,
 Hayman has one started whith a very nice cannon.... looks like it could be a lapan .... shows high quality....
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,252013.msg1099474402.html#msg1099474402
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
Allen -

Thanx.  I knew that cannon in his avitar looked familiar!

Now for some pix of smoke and flame!

(Never enough pictures!)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline The Hayman

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »
Cat Whisperer

I'm still learning. I'm hoping to do smoke and flame, but not until I learn a bit more. I did buy a couple cans of Goex FG and some fuse, but read the cannon accident thread, and it made me think and slow down. I may have a few more questions before I light the fuse, but I do know I have a lot more reading to do first. This thread has been very helpful, as working up to a proof load while hiding behind a concrete barrier was one of the questions I had, wondering if that was something I should do when trying out the gun.

Best to all,

The Hayman

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »
Hayman -

Matt Switlick (in The More Complete Cannoneer) has the best advice about charges - start rediculously small.

There are excerpts and tables from that book in the stickies - good rules of thumb about recommended loadings.

Safety is a function of having a cannon that was well designed, well built and loaded and fired reasonably.

Read up on firing-line procedures.  Little things like putting the charge into the bore from a small container (or foil wrapped charge) and not pouring the powder in from a full can,  keeping the stash of powder well behind where you're firing from.  AAA and N-SSA have good procedures.  They've got good track records of minimizing accidents.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
Ironball! Listen up, junior. I tried to tell ya. There are a couple of people here that think that because they have been here a long time, they can dictate the terms of discussion. Some people here take a "my way or the highway" response to every thread. Looks to me like the big boss man GB doesn't agree. But watch your step, son. Be polite, obey the rules. The good ole boys are showing their true colors.

Personally, I have to agree with the fact that a blank charge of 1 pound of powder in a 1/2 inch thick tube 12 inches long, like you describe, is no problem. The cast iron is purely decorative, the steel liner will handle the charge. Most of the powder will be wasted by being blown out to burn harmlessly in the atmosphere.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »
Ramrod,
It's odd but I just checked your stats and this is the first time you have "contributed" to the cannon forum..... and the first post is confrontational?  If I were a moderator I would be looking at Ironball and Ramrod's IP address to see if they are one in the same.... their writing style seems to suggest they are.... Ironball has already talked about setting up dummy accounts on facebook and email addresses..... So hopefully "the good ole boys" will be taking a closer look and see what is what.....
in the meantime as a long time contributor to this forum I am requesting it to be locked as it is not doing anything positive for anyone other than flushing out the trolls....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »
Ramrod,
It's odd but I just checked your stats and this is the first time you have "contributed" to the cannon forum..... and the first post is confrontational?  If I were a moderator I would be looking at Ironball and Ramrod's IP address to see if they are one in the same.... their writing style seems to suggest they are.... Ironball has already talked about setting up dummy accounts on facebook and email addresses..... So hopefully "the good ole boys" will be taking a closer look and see what is what.....
in the meantime as a long time contributor to this forum I am requesting it to be locked as it is not doing anything positive for anyone other than flushing out the trolls....
You couln't be more wrong, I have posted here on this board before. You obviously didn't check. You are flat out lying. That is a mortar in my avatar BTW. Your name calling has been reported. LOL!
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline GGaskill

Forum Behavior
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »
First off, I am not a psychiatrist nor do I play one on TV (or the Internet.)

But I have to say that this thread is no longer about whether to "proof" a Hern mortar with a one pound charge or not.  Once you have posted your opinion regarding the original subject, let it go.  Do not let your emotions get you riled to the point you start acting like the person you are contesting.  Those who take the side of less powder have made their points; those who advocate more powder have made theirs.  It's up to future readers to determine which side they are on.  The rest of us, let's move on.

If this is more about getting people riled up, the best way to fight it is to let it sit without activity.  In the case of this post, I am making that decision; but you can make it for future posts.  Once you start getting emotional about a thread, let it go; stop posting to that thread.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill