Author Topic: Round nose flat base in a 308 win  (Read 1805 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Round nose flat base in a 308 win
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:16:52 AM »
I was reading the other night about accuracy . It was noted when bbls are short 16"-20"  on centerfire rifles often accuracy with pointed bullets is not great but if heavy around 180 gr. round nose flat base bullets are tried accuracy(group size) often srinks alot.
Years ago in one of the gun rags there was an article where a guy took a 308 win rifle ,Rem  700 I think. got like bullets from the same manf. say a 180 gr round nose and a 180 spire point . loaded in like cases with like primers and powder . He shot them out to 300 yards at which point the round nose bullet had dropped 3 inches lower than the spire point. His test was way more complex than I have made it sound but you get the idea I hope.
So has anyone experinced either ? I seldom shoot round nose bullets , nothing scintific really probly marketing more than anything. But way back in my youth I got a 3006 as a presant and with out any guidance ( only rifle in my extended family was a 22 single shot, i came from bird hunters) I picked up a couple boxes of 180 gr rem round nose coreloke . The first deer ( about 90 lbs our deer are small around the swamps) I shot with it was a mess as was the next few. One of the old guys I was hunting with suggested I drop back in weight to 125-150 gr. and quit blowing up so much meat. Since I have not used them. I can get 308 180 gr remingtons for $17.00 a box which is a great price here for any hnting ammo. It would be used in a short bbl gun .
so any ideas on the subject ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: Round nose flat base in a 308 win
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
The advantage with round nosed bullets is that for a given weight they're shorter than spitzer bullets and thus are more easily stabilized.  As for whether they're better in shorter barrels; they might be.  Velocity in a shorter barrel will be lower and a shorter bullet would be more easily stabilized but if velocity and barrel twist are sufficient to stabilize a spitzer bullet there would be no big advantage to a round nosed bullet.  For shots up to 200 yards, there is no big advantage to boat tails or to the spitzer shape over the round nosed flat based bullet profile.

How much meat you ruin depends on a number of factors.  They include bullet velocity, bullet construction and where you hit the animal.  Going to a lighter bullet doesn't mean you'll ruin less meat.  If you wish to ruin less meat, you should do the following:

1.  Go with a heavier bullet.
2.  Decrease the velocity (of course, with a heavier bullet the velocity will be lower).
3.  Use a bullet of heavier construction.
4.  Use an all copper or other monometal bullet.
5.  Shoot the animal in a place where there isn't much usable meat.
6.  Use a less powerful firearm.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:49:41 AM »
Comparing apples with apples  IE same animal same distance same point of impact same type bullet( cup and core)  you are going to get more mess with a lighter bullet then the heavier one.
For my hunting conditions I prefer to use RN's.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:58:16 AM »
Thanks , Think I will get some !

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:08:31 AM »
I can't comment on the 308 Win. However, i can comment on my experience with 4 other calibers: 7.62x54R, 7x57, 6mm Rem, and .338 Federal and RN bullets.
Fast, light for caliber pointed bullets almost always tear up and produce more blood shot meat, because their expansion/upset is more rapid and more violent. Heavy for caliber round nosed bullets seemed to expand immediately, but without blowing up, and they seemed to penetrate better, without tearing up much meat. For them, it seemed easier to develop accurate loads.
My favorite hunting load/rifle is the 6mm Remington firing the 100 grain RN Hornady bullet. Extremely accurate, very good expansion without blowing up, excellent penetration, no meat loss. This rifle has a 20" tube and does indeed like the RN bullets better than the pointed bullets, but i don't know why.
Last fall i shot a 170 lbs. pig with it, frontally. The 100 RN bullet penetrated the entire pig length wise, bones and all. However, on gusty days i keep my shots under 200 yards; RN bullets get blown off course easily. I would not use them on an antelope hunt were 250-350 yards shots are to be expected.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:26:47 AM »
 I would not use them on an antelope hunt were 250-350 yards shots are to be expected.

Neither would I. "lopes are small bodied critters and do not require deep penetration.
Those pointy bullets have also slowed down by the time they arrive at those ranges.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:42:40 AM »
The advantage with round nosed bullets is that for a given weight they're shorter than spitzer bullets and thus are more easily stabilized.  As for whether they're better in shorter barrels; they might be.  Velocity in a shorter barrel will be lower and a shorter bullet would be more easily stabilized but if velocity and barrel twist are sufficient to stabilize a spitzer bullet there would be no big advantage to a round nosed bullet.  For shots up to 200 yards, there is no big advantage to boat tails or to the spitzer shape over the round nosed flat based bullet profile.

How much meat you ruin depends on a number of factors.  They include bullet velocity, bullet construction and where you hit the animal.  Going to a lighter bullet doesn't mean you'll ruin less meat.  If you wish to ruin less meat, you should do the following:

1.  Go with a heavier bullet.
2.  Decrease the velocity (of course, with a heavier bullet the velocity will be lower).
3.  Use a bullet of heavier construction.
4.  Use an all copper or other monometal bullet.
5.  Shoot the animal in a place where there isn't much usable meat.
6.  Use a less powerful firearm.

I agree 110%!!!!!

Personally my hunting never extends to 200 yards. I prefer RN bullets for all but a few of my hunting calibers!  In my 307 it's a old discontinued favorite, a 165 Speer RN loaded to mid 2500 fps. Devestating...
CW

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 07:04:03 AM »
I find it regretable that nobody makes more RN's myself. I would love to have in 30 cal a 165 and a 200 grain bullet.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
My deer load is a 165gr Nosler ballistic tip.
At distances from 60 to 400 yards it gets the job done without much meat destruction.
But like CW suggested I don't shoot them where the good meat is ;)

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »
Tacklebury :)

I've got all of those you listed.
My next loading project will be the 308 Win toned down to approx. 30-30 Win velocity.

Offline oneoldsap

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
        Speer used to make a 165 Gr. RNFB bullet and it was a great bullet in the .308 Win. . When Speer discontinued that bullet I stopped using my .308 on deer and went to the .358 Win. . Those 165s would pulp both shoulders and be just under the hide on the off side at under 100 Yds. . I now load it's little brother (the 150) in my .300 Savage , but have yet to take a deer with them , but I have no doubt that they'll get the job done if I do mine !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 02:30:11 PM »
        Speer used to make a 165 Gr. RNFB bullet and it was a great bullet in the .308 Win. . When Speer discontinued that bullet I stopped using my .308 on deer and went to the .358 Win. . Those 165s would pulp both shoulders and be just under the hide on the off side at under 100 Yds. . I now load it's little brother (the 150) in my .300 Savage , but have yet to take a deer with them , but I have no doubt that they'll get the job done if I do mine !

Thats the bullet I mentioned in my previous post!  I was lucky enough to find a supply right after they where discontinued. GREAT bullet!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mckie Hollow

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 12:10:45 AM »
Yeah - I used to load that bullet for my 308.Before Speer decided to take it out of production, a major magazine had an article where that bullet was the most accurate in their test.Go figure.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »
I have a box with about 30 left in it.