Author Topic: Recent purchase of magellan triton 400  (Read 971 times)

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Recent purchase of magellan triton 400
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:25:57 AM »
I just recently purchased a Magellan Triton 400 (the adventure package with the National Geographic Topo! Explorer Deluxe mapping software). I really like the GPS.  Excellent sat aquisition and holds it's signal. The problem is the freakin mapping software that it came with.  It was a bear to figure out.  And now I just found out that you cannot purchase any more points to download the 24K quad maps!  The vantage point software that it came with says the unit is past expiration date to subribe to it.  Unbelievable!!!!  So, I am looking at topo USA for mapping saftware with this unit.  has anyone had any good experiences with topo USA?  Im not trying to get into another bear of a learning curve here.
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Recent purchase of magellan triton 400
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »
 For clarification you are asking about Magellan’s Topo USA?  Over the years a number of manufactures have had products with the Topo USA or similar name.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:38:52 AM »
Yes, but last night i decided to not even deal with it.  Im returning the device for a refund and going with  an etrex 20. 

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:09 AM »
Actually I was going to get the  Etrex 20 bundle package from rei.com which includes topo 100k (US) for $249.  Your thoughts on Topo 100K?  I am learninng as I go with the GPS mapping software.  Its a jungle of stuff out there.  I like topo for alot of heavy woored areas, but I like topo and Aerial for the more open land I live in.