Author Topic: 2.9-inch Blakely rifle  (Read 1153 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
2.9-inch Blakely rifle
« on: October 12, 2008, 10:39:23 AM »

I have come across this gun and was wondering does anyone have prints for this gun or know where one is located at so I can get dimensions  off of it? would it be aproved to shoot off of a praire carriage?

2.9-inch Blakely rifle, Type 10. Total length, 36.45 inches; maker, unknown; rifling, 6-groove sawtooth, right-hand twist; weight, 197 pounds (per scale); known survivors, 3, one of which is marked "BLAKELEY(sic)/LONDON." Little is known of these except for the presence of the survivors.

rick bryan
3rd va co B

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 2.9-inch Blakely rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 10:50:12 AM »
rampa room artillery,

I know that Cpt Ed owned one sometime back. He no longer owns it as of this time. However, he did make some hand drawings detailing the tube. He posted them awhile back. I'll see if I can locate that post.

***Here is the original post.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,102590.msg1098296108.html#msg1098296108
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:00:04 AM »
Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War by James C. Hazlett, Edwin Olmstead, M. Hume Parks pp.196,197

"Flanking the porch steps leading up to Quarters H at Washington Navy Yard are two undersized iron rifles. Their shape at the breech is essentially conical, with striking family resemblance to that of recognized Blakely types 2, 5, 6, and 7. Despite challenges to their authenticity, or lack of visible stampings, but because of their shape, kind of rifling, and drilled vents, Warren Ripley considered them genuine contemporary weapons and assigned to them the tentative identification, Blakley rifles, type 10. A third survivor has since been found, privately owned. Its right hand trunnion is stamped: BLAKELEY LONDON we decline to speculate about the extra e in the name Blakley but agree that it is reason for further factfinding if possible.
 These little rifles appear to have separate pressed on trunnion bands, like Blakely types 4 and 6. Whole length is 36.75 inches with maximum swell of the reinforce of 6.44 inches. The bore is 29.75 inches long, with six sawtooth rifling grooves of right hand twist, 2.9-inch land diameter and 3-inch groove diameter. Ripley has pointed out that these pieces should be interchangeable in the carriages of regulation mountain howitzers."

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline guardsgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »
Drawings like this

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 03:20:15 AM »
The gun in Cpt. Ed's fine drawing was acquired (when, directly, indirectly we don't know) by the late, well-known Atlanta collector and friend George W. Wray, Jr.  It is now in storage of the Atlanta History Center, and I discussed it recently with curator and fellow Company of Military Historians member Gordon Jones.  I'm glad this drawing was posted here because the AHC doesn't have it, nor the earlier history of the piece, but they will as soon as I write an email with the link to this topic.  This gun is probably unique in the world for a type 10 having the misspelled "Blakeley" mark, so that's why I'm 99.99% sure it is the same item.  Glad you posted that drawing-now we can work on completing the provenance of that interesting piece!