Author Topic: Open sights or scope for 357 max  (Read 898 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Open sights or scope for 357 max
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:42:18 PM »
Well my 357 talo came in today and was looking at mounting a scope with see through rings which I did. Problem is i couldnt get comfortable as one or the other was really out of place. Tried the pistol grip stock, monte carlo and thumbhole laminate. Thinking maybee just putting a skinner site on it with the pistol grip stock. But the thumbhole with a scope feels good and then couls just take the scope off and use the factory sights for plinking with 38 ammo. what are your thoughts.

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
Re: Open sights or scope for 357 max
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:00:06 PM »
I can't use see thru rings. I hate them, they sit the scope up way to high for me. I always buy the lowest rings that will let me clear the hammer on the H&R's. So for me, it's either open sights or a scope, I can't do both comfortably.

If the scope feels good to you, maybe you can buy a good set of quick release rings that will return to Zero if you decide to shoot some .38 special with open sights.

Offline troy5775

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »
I love the peer through mounts myself, but I have a red dot on my 357 handi. Might think about trying one out.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »
I vote open sights
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
I like see through mounts.  I rarely even use scopes though and mostly only for long shots on squirrels.  ;)  On my model 60 though, I can hit a running rabbit quick using the peep unders or a fleeing treerat, but the scope is better for picking them off stationary or if I can only make out a little bit of their fur to designate what I'm shooting at.  Sometimes they just peep over the edge of a tree and the scope is perfect for those shots.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
I like see through mounts and have used them for years. The real answer to your question, "Open sights or scope for 357 max?" can only be answered by you, but a big part of it is how far do you expect to shoot, how good a shot are you with open sights, and what open sights are you going to use? You answer those questions and you have answered you own question in a way that will be best for you....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 02:04:28 AM »
I like irons on mine.

The areas I hunt in are fairly thick, sometimes a scope would be nice, but I don't "need" to take a 200 yard shot with this gun.

NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 02:19:09 AM »
I "like" iron sights, but going on 64 has made it difficult to tell the rear sight from the hammer! 8)

Like Dave29, I prefer a scope that sets low.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 02:22:12 AM »
I plan to keep at least one barrel with open sights.  Right now that is the .357 but the .44 has the better sights on it.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 02:37:30 AM »
I can't use see thru rings. I hate them, they sit the scope up way to high for me. I always buy the lowest rings that will let me clear the hammer on the H&R's. So for me, it's either open sights or a scope, I can't do both comfortably.

If the scope feels good to you, maybe you can buy a good set of quick release rings that will return to Zero if you decide to shoot some .38 special with open sights.

EXACTY MY SENTAMENTS!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 03:16:02 AM »
Dave 29 said it as well as I could. Quick release rings and a peep would be my choice. I had my doubts about quick release rings till I tried a set of Warne rings and bases on my blackpowder rifle. They made a believer out of me. They hold zero when I remount the scope and I can remove the scope when cleaning the rifle, which was the reason I tried them to begin with. I like open sights,but my 60 year old eyes do not, especially in low light conditions.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
I don't know what sights (if any) they are putting on their rifles now.  I like the ones that came on my older overbore .44 with screw adjustment.

Then the ones that came on my later .357 which has an iffy sort of loosen, slide and see type of regulation.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 10:24:38 AM »
Modern H&R barrel sights are Williams WGOS, have been since about 2005 or so.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »
Well my 357 talo came in today and was looking at mounting a scope with see through rings which I did. Problem is i couldnt get comfortable as one or the other was really out of place. Tried the pistol grip stock, monte carlo and thumbhole laminate. Thinking maybee just putting a skinner site on it with the pistol grip stock. But the thumbhole with a scope feels good and then couls just take the scope off and use the factory sights for plinking with 38 ammo. what are your thoughts.

Hello, where did you find a .357 mag Talo at? I am saving up for the one they have at Hinterland Outfitters as they don`t have layaway unfortunately :(  I am praying it isn`t that one. I have a .44 Mag Talo and want it`s younger brother ;D
Ooops!! I just noticed you bought a .357 Max. Sorry about that :-[