Author Topic: Nonsense Antique cannon alert  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Nonsense Antique cannon alert
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:03 PM »
In 30 minutes at 6:30 pm Mountain time on Direct TV channel 265 A&E,  American Restoration program Rick Dale is going restore an Antique cannon...when the expert comes on don't partake of any liquids or food while he makes his ID...again when Rick unveils his restoration--no food or drink.  Choking spitting hazard.

In fairness to Dale he simply rebuilds the carriage the customer brought in. 

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Nonsense Antique cannon alert
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:29:17 PM »

Offline Delkal

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 02:40:49 PM »
I like American restoration and watch it often,  BUT I think he restores many items that shouldn't be .  In many cases people spend thousands to get a refinished item that is at best worth less to  collectors.

I am watching the show now,   Bit I will turn it off immediately if he starts bead blasting/ painting the barrel!

Talented refinisher or Bubba.   I guess it depends on your views and what your refinishing.................

Offline Double D

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
I have no problem with Dale's work...the alert is about the cannon ID.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »
I don't think I will comment on the restoration.  As to it being a Civil War gun I don't think so.  It reminds me of the barrels that Dixie Gun Works sold.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Delkal

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
AAArrrrggghhhh.  Well ,   he did bead blast the barrel and painted it  VERY shiney.     For a firearm I would generally say.......NO! don't do it.   

Still the cannon looked very nice when finished.  I won't blast anyone for doing thisrestoration ,  but personally I would rather leave it as is with minor repairs.

I also think it might be a repro.......very heavy and noticeable cast mold seams.    BUT,    Yes............. I would love to have it.  (refinished or not)

This brings up a question,    were civil war cannons painted black at the factory or did they turn that way over the years like a cast iron skillet?

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »
It's always painful to listen to people who don't know what they're talking about.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »

This brings up a question,    were civil war cannons painted black at the factory or did they turn that way over the years like a cast iron skillet?

Ironwork was generally painted black including the barrel.

Offline Delkal

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
It's always painful to listen to people who don't know what they're talking about.

??????

Offline Delkal

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »

I hope you don't mean my earlier post where  I stated that I  personally disliked refinished firearms.   Again,  I'm not knocking anyone who wants to refinish a firearm to their liking.   Its theirs, they own it and can do anything they want with it,  (even paining it with flames with gold trim).   Just stating my personal preference,  not knocking anyones belief or what you like.

Sorry,  I am fairly new to cannons.....But,  I DO know a lot about classic guns  (I am also very opinionated with them too)   

Being new........Are original cannons different than all other classic firearms?   Does the value improve if they are refinished?

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »

I hope you don't mean my earlier post where  I stated that I  personally disliked refinished firearms.   Again,  I'm not knocking anyone who wants to refinish a firearm to their liking.   Its theirs, they own it and can do anything they want with it,  (even paining it with flames with gold trim).   Just stating my personal preference,  not knocking anyones belief or what you like.

Sorry,  I am fairly new to cannons.....But,  I DO know a lot about classic guns  (I am also very opinionated with them too)   

Being new........Are original cannons different than all other classic firearms?   Does the value improve if they are refinished?

I think he was talking about  the expert who identified this cannon....

I have no problem with the restoration Rick did. He just repainted and replicated the owners carriage. 

Am I the only one that sees a 1950-1960 sand cast cannon with a steel liner?

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »
 ;) ...happens to the best of us....sometimes, your train of thought is NOT the same as someone else's train of thought, therefor, you MIGHT think a comment was aimed at you, when in fact, it was about another subject, just a post or two behind. On this Forum, we give and take advice, opinions, thoughts, etc., about most anything having to do with Cannons, Mortars and Howitzers, their carriages, sleds, platforms, building and maintaining, and firing and photographing them. I think we strive for civility, and safety, and maybe not necessarily in that order! We try to look out for each other, and strive for civil discourse. That said, another thing we need to grow is a thick skin!  ;D LOL! Welcome one and all to our playground! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »

DD

That's why I said Dixie Gun Works cannon.  I seem to remember them selling one like this in the 1970's.

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 12:39:08 AM »

Sorry for the confusion, but I was referring to their "expert." 10 seconds of Googleing would have shown him that it couldn't possibly have been a Napoleon, and a little more would have shown him that size bore was definitely not common during the Civil War.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 02:07:34 AM »
I think that it's possible that the experts analysis was simply written into the show for dramatic effect.

Offline Double D

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 03:40:13 AM »
Sorry, Norm, I did see you say that...yes the 1 1/2" Napoleon evaluation caught my attention also...

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 07:27:49 AM »
Maybe a scaled "Napoleon styled" barrel.   However,the muzzle swell doesn't work very well has a scaled Napoleon.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:08 AM »
 Well The “DOC”  is what I term “EXPERT”  Definition: EX = HAS BEEN  SPURT= DRIP UNDER PRESSURE!
Yes we know that Napoleons were used on ships and brought on land and they were named for the Napoleon complex……. Oy vey!  Oh and yes you pack 8oz. of black powder and a steel ball in there…….Get this fellow away far away from everything related to cannon…….
I do have issues with bubba restorers who torch original bolts off the wheels for no reason since there is no reason to take them down to their component parts…… the good thing is the wheels are from a piece of farm equipment and not a cannon
Yes “we made the carriage out of PINE and this piece in the back is so you can anchor it in the grass for recoil”
So BUBBA makes a cannon carriage……. Sorry I was not impressed…. No research into a subject one knows nothing about …. Just wing it …………..
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 10:09:04 AM »
I love the derivation of ex/spurt above. ;D

Recently as in no time in my memory are we seeing firearms and cannons portrayed somewhat favorably in the media.  By no means am I say Hollywood is in love with the "gun toting" public but we have seen a rise in people that are allowed for what ever reason to show firearms in a favorable light. 

That said, I have seen and seem to recall many poorly researched or built firearms lately.  Starting with "Sons of Guns" and now this.  I wonder if our hobbies are being set up in some subconscious way to fail.  Is society waiting on one of these idiots to blow themselves up in the hopes that a backlash will take all our toys away?  I don't believe in conspiracies but I do believe in mob-hysterics and unforeseen consequences. 

I wish we as a community could reach out to these people and explain what they did wrong in a gentle and mentoring kind-of fashion.  Much the same way people on here have gone about the evil-bay pipe bombs.

These are just by thoughts.  Thank you for following along in my ramblings.  Also lets play nice and grow thicker skins.   8)
AMMA Bosslopper 1988