Author Topic: caps for 3rd mod dragoon  (Read 796 times)

Offline kerndog

• Trade Count: (0)
caps for 3rd mod dragoon
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:36:01 AM »
I just bought my first cap and ball , a 3rd mod dragoon from uberti, and i guess my first question is to those that have this revolver, what size caps should i get #10 or #11 ?..........thanks :o

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
Re: caps for 3rd mod dragoon
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:01:04 AM »
I've had, in the past, a Walker, 2nd Dragoon, and 3d dragoon replicas.  I don't have any right at the moment, but when I had these I shot them quite a bit.  As for cap size, my only comment is that in my experience with a variety of cap and ball revolvers I've found that 10 or 11 will work on any of them,  Sometimes, depending on brand, the 10's will fit tighter--too tight, in fact.  I found this true with the RWS caps.  Remington caps sometimes fit a little loose.  CCI seems to be the most consistent.  I'd suggest that you buy a can of 11's first and see how they fit.  If they are a little loose, then pinch them a bit before putting them on the nipple, and the next time try a tin of 10's of the same brand.  Even if the 10's don't fit down all the way, you'll still be able to shoot them up.  You'll have to experiment a bit and find out what's best before buying them by the thousand and using a capper.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:25:27 AM »
This cap size question is probably the most aggravating thing I ran into when I started shooting these revolvers!   >:(

I pretty quickly decided to replace the factory nipples.  My 36's now have Tresco's and the 44's have steel.  I made a longevity experiment out of it don't cha know...  ;D  Anyway, they are all sized for #11 caps and RWS #11 (1065) caps fit them all!   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline OldCrow

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
I been using #10 Remington caps on mine with no problems. Each on mine has a spare cylinder with a set of Tresco nipples in them. The caps from Wally World say Whinchester #11, They seem to fit well too. I think they are actually CCI's. The first tin of caps I ever bought were #10 CCI abd they don't seem to fit anything, too small.

Offline kerndog

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 01:36:35 AM »
This cap size question is probably the most aggravating thing I ran into when I started shooting these revolvers!   >:(

I pretty quickly decided to replace the factory nipples.  My 36's now have Tresco's and the 44's have steel.  I made a longevity experiment out of it don't cha know...  ;D  Anyway, they are all sized for #11 caps and RWS #11 (1065) caps fit them all!   ;)
      what are trescos and what size are they, also, where do you get them ?

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 06:40:30 AM »
Try here:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=171&styleID=785&PageSize=25&Page=2

I was wrong on the name though.   :-[   They are made by Treso out of Ampco, a bronze alloy.  It is the nipple on the far right of the 4 shown.  They were highly recommended by the experienced C&B shooters here, that's why I got them.  And I've been real happy with them.   ;D

I believe the 12-28 is the thread you want.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline ironball

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »
I keep plenty of #10s and #11s from CCI and Remington on hand, so we never have a problem when someone shows up with a new gun. Same thing with ball sizes, I have about a dozen molds.

Most of the fun with these old things is in the fiddling. In the old days, most folks only owned one or two guns, and had much fewer choices in accessories.
Never let the people with all the money and the people with all the guns be the same people.