Author Topic: Fast .44 cast bullet round needed.  (Read 360 times)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Fast .44 cast bullet round needed.
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:47:41 AM »
When I say fast I mean normal (1700 - 1800) level rounds.  All my books only list pistol loads for cast bullet rounds.  I need a cast bullet for deer since my barrel is oversize and accuracy sucks.  I've found a Montana 240 grain round that they will size .433 but I need some starting points.  As stated I'm looking for about normal velocity for a hard cast bullet.  I have H110, Tightgroup and Reloader 15 and really don't want to buy any more.  The H110 should get me where I need to go though.  Thanks in advance for any help here guys.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: Fast .44 cast bullet round needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:24:12 AM »
Hodgdon lists a 240 gr JHP over 23.0 gr of H110 as a starting load and 24.0 as a max load. The speed is about what you're looking for. Using jacketed data for cast won't get you in trouble with pressure problems, some leading maybe if things aren't sized just right.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Fast .44 cast bullet round needed.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 06:42:39 AM »
Thanks for that bit of info on using jacketed bullet data.  I will just start with 23 gr of H110.  Forgot to mention that it will be a gaschecked bullet also.