Author Topic: wad diameters  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Elijah Gunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
wad diameters
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »
Anyone know what the "official" wad dias. are supposed to be for .36 and .44 cal. revolvers? I measured some store bought ones with my machinist calipers and got a reading of .390 for the .36 cal. and .470 for the .44 cal. I just closed the calipers down on the wads till I felt some resistance. They are soft things to measure. Reason why I'm asking is I plan to make punches and cut my own. I bought the felt Gatofeo told us about and made up a batch of his lube recipe. Now I just need to make the punches.
If anyone else has tried measuring wads like this have you gotten similar readings?
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline BobJ

Re: wad diameters
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »
As outlined in older posts, I use 1/8" Duro Felt, and sharpen a .45 Colt or a .357 Mag case, (with a couple grooves, sort of forms two teeth on the end of the case) file off the rims, and chuck them in a drill. You can cut a thousand or so from a $12 roll. You will find more info if you do a search here. Wouldn't worry about measuring, they fit fine in .44 or .36 respectively. Then soak in your Gatofeo. Some of the older posters say the drill thing works a lot better than a punch.

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:21:33 AM »
I've used punches and the drill both.   I Like the drill press better. I go one more step and drill out the primer, put in a machine screw and spring so that it pushes each wad out of the case when you raise the drill press.  I use old felt hats for mine, if you live in cowboy country, you can get them for free.  Sharpen your cases with a deburring tool no muss no fuss.

Offline Hellgate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:48 PM »
I use the 7/16" for .44 cal cap & ball revolvers and the 3/8" hole punch for the 36 cals. I chuck them into a drill press and  punch them out on low speed over a wood block. After punching them out I lube them in any number of lubes being a mix of beeswax, olive oil, deer tallow, lard etc. Most of the mixes are 50/50 beeswax and either lard, olive oil, or tallow depending on how stiff I want the mix to be and the outdoor temperature I will be shooting in.
Gun control=OSHA for criminals

Hellgate
SASS#3302
DGB#29
NRA Life

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
My pietta has chambers that run .448 to .450     Wads at .490 would seem to be a bit too large.  and 7/16 would be .01 too small.    I purchased a .455 punch at Ft Shenandoah from a vender there many years back, it is about perfect.  29/64th .453

I use .375 wads for 38-55 BPCR and my 36 cal C&B guns. 

Although, I think I get better accuracy with a plain ball on top the powder and grease over the ball.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
I use a 3/8" punch for .36, and a .45-caliber punch from Buffalo Arms for .45 caliber, though a .45-70, .45 ACP or .45 Long Colt case with sharpened mouth would work.
I've found that 7/16" is smaller than I like for the .44 cap and balls (actually closer to .45 caliber). However, the 7/16" punch is perfect for .44-caliber cartridges such as the .44-40, .44 Special and .44 Magnum. Should work fine for the .444 Marlin rifle too.
I sometimes load a felt wad lubricated with Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant in .44-40 cases over black powder, to keep fouling soft. I've fired cartridges more than 6 years old and never had a problem with the lubricant contaminating the powder.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."