Author Topic: I Am So Happy  (Read 713 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
I Am So Happy
« on: March 08, 2004, 10:28:55 AM »
Next weekend I get to take my 12 year old granddaughter on her first big game hunt.  Going to go after wild boar and try to get her new 7mm-08 broke in right.  I don't know who is more excited.  Her because it is her first hunt for big game or me for getting to take her.  Keeping the tradition alive.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
I Am So Happy
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 12:02:30 PM »
Sounds just EXCELLENT!!  What rifle/bullet and grain/load  are you having her use?  I am sure she will enjoy the hunt with "gramps".  Hope she has success.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Lawdog

I Am So Happy
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 02:20:48 PM »
longwinters,

The rifle I built for her is a left handed M70 that I added a 24” Shilen Match grade barrel to.  This is her rifle for silhouette shooting.  It has a Burris 6x-24x scope on it and the load I worked up for her is 38.5 gr. of H4895 for  2592 fps. using 140 gr. Nosler Partitions.  Accuracy is very good with groups running about 3/4” for 5 shots.  She has practiced with this load(over 400 rounds worth) from bench, and all hunting positions until I am confident that she can hit what she is aiming at.  Truth be know she is most likely the best shot in the family.  At 5’ 7” tall she handles this rifle well for a 12 year old.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Lawdog

I Am So Happy
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 03:19:07 PM »
This morning my granddaughter put one 160 gr. Nosler Partition out of her 7mm-08 where it didn’t do a 207 lb. Wild Boar any good at all(he has no heart for living).  Range was just over 180 yards(by my range finder) and the boar dropped at the shot.  I just got off the phone with my daughter and she said that my granddaughter hasn’t quit smiling yet.  All the practice paid off.  Now I got another hunting partner to bother me about going hunting.  Lawdog
 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
I Am So Happy
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 03:45:12 AM »
:D Great  :D

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
I Am So Happy
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 12:20:42 PM »
FANTASTIC!  Be sure to post a pic or two.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.