Author Topic: Rino 650  (Read 1904 times)

Offline kctibs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Rino 650
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:07:39 AM »
Picked up a new Rino 650 to replace my Rino 120.  Wow what an upgrade so far it seems awesome been playing around with it and seems super easy to use.  I got the Garmin Topos and the Birds eye imagery pretty cool stuff.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Rino 650
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
 Congratulations on your new Garmin 650.  Without a doubt I was jealous of the next generation when I read that Garmin had come out with the new series of Rino’s. :)
It will be interesting reading future post from you about the 650. After getting my Rino 530HCx I gave my Garmin 76C to a brother.  But I kept my 76Cx.
I am sure that your experience with the Rino 120 puts you ahead of the learning curve.
I am a strong believer in the use of a GPS designed for the trail when hunting because they are more rugged, meet a water resistant standard, and have substantially better battery life.  My automotive units are great for getting me out along the roads, but when I step into the timber I want a unit designed for the job.  Do not forget you map and compass, they do not require batteries.

My hunting partners do have automotive GPS units that do a pretty good job out on the logging roads but one must remember that logging and mining roads may not be maintained. A little over a year ago a hunting partner and I were out bear hunting in real steep country.  My Rino loaded with Topo 2008 was giving us a good feel for the country but with the addition of his Street Pilot automotive GPS loaded with City Navigator software the system of logging roads was clearly displayed.  We spotted the fresh tracks of a bear crossing the road in very steep country.  We decided that after looking at the two GPS units, the steep 75-80 percent slopes, and the frozen snow covered ground and vegetation that the bear needed to grow another year.

Co-Moderator bigblock455 has identified a very interesting product.  http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/    Land Management agencies have had a similar product in house.
I have not tried it, but find it interesting.  Beware that all maps are not accurate. Use the boundaries identified on any mapping product as a guide, but do not do battle over them.  During a long career I have come across errors on government published maps.  A lot of work goes into proofing maps and the publication.  Seems like the day a new map comes out somebody will find an error.

Government lands are often traded or added to.  It takes a few years for the changes to appear.  Many of the old surveys are being corrected. One of the infamous Government Contract surveys in the 1800’s was done on a table in a bar, not in the field.

Many years ago Gun Runner’s wife-to- be worked for me.  One of her jobs was to assemble a number of map books out of a large supply of topo sheets.  These were to go to LE officers in different counties.  She has a sharp eye and found one of the errors I am talking about.  Another time a deputy and I arrested a bad guy in a remote canyon based on information from a private land owner.  The tough part was indentifying if the arrest was on private or National Forest Land.  Either way the arrest was good, but the ownership of the land determined the court system the suspect was to appear in.  The determination of the ownership was complicated by an error on the map. 

Enjoy your new GPS, and if it blinks get with Garmin Support and return it while under warranty.  I like Garmin GPS but I have returned enough that I only rate then a “C” in the quality control department.

I am glad bigblock455 is on board.  This was a spur of a moment post.  Tomorrow I have an appointment with a surgeon which I hope leads to an appointment for surgery.  Keeps us posted on your Garmin 650, suspect it is on other members radar.
P.S.  happen to notice that a Garmin GPS was hanging from a rail on one of the boats in the History Channels Swamp People.  Those Indian fellows are rather smart.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:16:05 AM »
but when I step into the timber I want a unit designed for the job.

Nuff Said!

The cell phones, or smart phones are showing some promise in the gps field (have been playing virtual geo-cache with Son, SIL) over the last year or so and they are keeping up. If one were to actually step out on a trail head though, data minuets would be gobbled and one may just walk out of the range of the towers.

One thing that this experience (virtual geo-cache) has taught me is that I am now comforatable using all three position formats on my garmin which are...

hddd mm. mmmm (an old favorite and perhaps the most common)
hddd mm' ss.s"
hddd. ddddd" (with this one, there is a possibility that you may not be able to enter that last digit but accuracy is very good.)

These settings can be found in your Setup menu, then the Navigation tab along with a bunch of others that are easy to identify as they are off this Continet!

I have become fond of those high resolution pictures such as in google earth or itouch map.com which is similar but have noted a discrepancy in the conversion table provided for coordinate input. In short, if I enter a known coordinate in (an old favorite format) I find that it will be off approximately 119' when viewed on the software. This does not sound like a whole lot but it could be enough to get you in trouble in the dark (or at least bewildered) if you were to make corrections based on the mapping software.

The fix for this is easy as I may enter waypoints in the hddd. ddddd" format and then let my GPS do the conversion to the likes of hddd mm. mmmm. it is then spot on.

Why do I need to do this? I really dont except for having good hard copy's (read pen and note book) of Coordinate's in my (old favorite format) that I did not want to get rid of but had recorded and deleted to get rid of clutter on my waypoint list.

Siskiyou gave me a great tip on controling my clutter by organizing my waypoints by selecting the right Symbol to place with the coordinate. Your own unit may be better equipped to organize your waypoints by placing them in folders.

I got the Garmin Topos and the Birds eye imagery pretty cool stuff.

Excellent!....My main point to the bulk of this reply is not meant to confuse, but rather to cross check the accuracy with the mapping software with your unit on a known coordinate before venturing out too far. The best part of this is that it can be done locally. My oldest software came from Delorme and I never could catch that software telling me a lie. My bottom line here is practice, practice, practice!

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »
Glanceblamm:  Good post, I have to agree that cellphone gps-navigation systems are limited by the units ability to communicate with a cellphone tower. 

In writing this I have" kctibs" and his Garmin Rino 650 and his Rino 120 in mind.   Without a doubt well equipped, and as stated before a little jealous.

I have an "old" friend and hunting partner who is retired from the Forest Service, he has come along with the ages, starting with map, and compass.  He now owns a couple of trail gps units a Garmin Rino 530HCx, and a Rino 520.  I believe he has been disappointed in his military grade cellphone and the navigation system.  When it came to reception it was not better then the cellphone his partners carried.  His military cellphone has held up very good on rainy days in the duck blind, out fishing and deer hunting.  But the bottomline is the need for a cellphone tower to communicate with.

I believe there is a whole list of benefits to the Rino 650 and other Rino models.  Because of my back ground I always have S&R in mind when I am in the woods.  As partners in the woods we try and hit the transmitter every once and while on our Rino, in turn that creates a track on our partner Rino.  We are getting to be the over-hill-gang working on our bucket list. 

Unfortunately in the interest of making profits cellphone companies cut back on the analog system so that it does not exist in most locations.  Some years back the above mention hunting partner took a hard fall on an ice covered slope.  He thought he might have broken his leg. While I was driving he called his wife on my old 3 watt bag phone and arrange to have her meet us at the hospital.  As a test in more recent times I tried making a phone call out of the same drainage on the little .6 watt cellphone in my pocket, it did not happen.

This brings me back to the Rino.  The two way radio feature of the Rino gives the outdoorsman some other options.  I was setting on a point about 2 miles from the above location and was scanning with the radio when I picked up some radio traffic.  It is common for other radio users to act as relays in an emergency situation.  I still like my CB because they are common in logging trucks, and other logging equipment.  The downside is some truck driver’s talk 24/7.

Again Glancebamm brought up the subject of Lat/Long formats.  I normally use the same format as the one used on the map in my day pack.  Many people do not understand the value of having a common and correct position format set in your gps.  The units offer a lot of option.  After I retired I worked in an Emergency Command Center as an emergency dispatcher.  Our Computer Automated Dispatch program would generate a LAT/LONG for a location resources was being dispatched two.  It would display the three common hddd˚ formats and UTM.

I recall the confusion caused by a citizen calling 911 and giving a position that did not make sense.   It was later found the GPS user had been learning the features of his GPS in his living room and selected one of the India Zone grids.  He did not correct that before going out in the woods.  I have heard of other problems because of incorrect format use.  While working in the Command Center I took a call from a sheriff’s department dispatch center regarding a relayed signal from a SPOT transmitter.  The dispatcher on that end could not convert the LAT/LONG given to her.  I input the information into our CAD and gave her the location.    I also gave other information because I had worked that area and Forest Service resources were dispatched to the emergency.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/6636?qryrmv=1&ppcs=google&ppcg=4-62keyword=spot&gclid=CI2I7vHUpa4CFSU0QgodAxEVRw

There is no fee for using a common gps unit, there is a fee for the SPOT service.

I should note that SPOT has been abused by some users; Sheriff’s Departments and Federal Agencies are looking at addressing these problems.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:51:26 AM »
I don't believe I would trust my smart phone for GPS use although it works well with driving directions but still needs service to work.  I don't have that much service where I do most of my hunting and outdoor activites.  I do like the Birds Eye Imagery to double check maps.  I have found a lot of errors on the Garmin maps showing things in wrong place and roads where there are none.  The maps seem pretty accurate on National Forest area but not so much any where else.  I may try the maps BigBlock455 is talking about I just hate to fork over another $100 for more maps that may or may not be accurate. All companies selling maps claim theirs are the most accurate. 

I do always keep a compass and folded map in the bottom of my pack. Just in case.  One big problem with compasses is a lot of people carry them and don't know how to use them. I was like that till a few years ago when I spent some time learning with a retired Army Ranger friend of mine.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »
the Colorado and New Mexico maps i got are accurate as sin, you can basically walk to the fence post if there is one thats up of course. I've been testing it on my property as well and its just been excellent. I now can locate my tree stand, shooting range, stock tank, what ever i need i just walk up to it, mark it and its perfect.

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
the Colorado and New Mexico maps i got are accurate as sin,

So how do they show the trail roads on the Colorado eastern plains like the Comanche Grasslands for instance?  The Garmin maps show county roads all over where there are no roads.

-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »
Not many roads at all.

Some odd ball road numbers just for example.  Pond trail 503 J - 10b South 503 J

If you have a certain area and can get me the  N & W  Degrees i can punch them in and take a closer look at the area and report back.