Author Topic: 35 whelen load info  (Read 253 times)

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
35 whelen load info
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:28:26 PM »
anyone have any load info for the 35 whelen handi that has worked well for them? Ive got bullets in 200gr and 225gr but not opposed to the 250gr either. since most of my manuals are about as old as i am, they dont seem ta have much in them for this cal. Thanks
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 35 whelen load info
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:00:33 AM »
The best powder I have found is RL15, hands down best in my guns!

I like the Nosler Accu-Bond in 225 but my all time favorite Whelen bullet is the Speer 250 RN. 

For me the whelen is the heavy weight, the big boy. My 375 isn't needed for many of the game I hunt so the whelen gets used more if a heavy weight is needed. Those Speers shot nice holes thru Whitetails, Bears, Boars anything I have tried them on. I had a elk hun all set for 2009... then my plans changed and I did not go. But I had those 225 Accubonds all ready with a stiff loading of RL15. my gun is a Argentine Mauser 98 that I built. It wears a 27.5" barrel and shoots those 225s 2700 fps and into little groups.

I use the 225 Sierras for a couple deer and thought them a bit fragile. I used them when working with the Accubonds as there cost is much less and weight and profile extreamly close.

I also have used the 225 Partitions with good success after all they are a Partition right? But also costly and after knowing what those 250 Speers do I don't feel I need them. I really only use the Accubonds for longer range propositions. That bullets profile, the quality and faith I place in Nosler bullets for those longer ranges gives me faith.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 01:42:39 AM »
225gr sierra sp and imr-4895 powder works best for me
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:01:43 AM »
My Whelen is not picky as to bullets or powders, it shoots everything well except the 200 gr. RNCL because it is just too short for the throat of my rifle. Excellent powders I have used are H380, 4320, 3031 and reloder 15.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.