Author Topic: Sight question!  (Read 277 times)

Offline chromehead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • yeah Id hit that
Sight question!
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
Looking at buying a Handi w/rail and no iron sights, If I were to put a peep site on the rail, what kind of front site would I need to have put on,(how tall) to get the desired site picture?  When I say peep site I am thinking like the ones used on AR platforms. Please enlighten me!
If shooting is 90% mental....Boy do I Qualify!

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Sight question!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
There is a bunch of info on this in the FAQ's.

The height of the front sight depends on which caliber/barrel diameter you get. There are a bunch of different options. Check out Williams dovetail shorty ramps, they come in a bunch of different heights. You'll need a gunsmith to drill and tap a 6-48 hole to install one. You will then have a dovetail near the correct height and you can install the front dovetail sight of your choice.

Basically just go buy the Handi of your choice, read the FAQ's and post back here what you bought and we'll point you in the right direction.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Sight question!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »
The Williams WGRS-H&R peep will fit perfectly on the rear 6-48 holes where the rail is mounted.  Then it's a matter of measuring OD's and calculating sight heights.  See FAQ's.  The Williams shorty ramps (of the proper barrel diameter) work great.  Easy and inexpensive install for any gunsmith. 
I'd suggest a taller ramp and a shorter blade rather than a short ramp and tall blade.  The blade is more prone to injury.
Suggest you pass on thoughts of mounting a peep on the rail.