Author Topic: Fair price?  (Read 688 times)

Offline rdevett

• Trade Count: (0)
Fair price?
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »
I am selling a ultra varmint in .243 and was wondering what a fair asking price would be. It is a 1998 and is 95%.  I've looked on the classifieds and haven't seen anything similar being sold as a whole unit.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Fair price?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »
Auction it off on gunbroker and you will know what the fair price is at the end of the auction.  A gun is worth what someone will pay for it, so start it at $10.00 and no reserve and in 5 days you will know what it is worth.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline rdevett

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:30:28 AM »
Gee thanks for sharing that gem of wisdom.  Guess since it's not a 45-70 or a rimmed cartridge I'll will only get smug, veiled comments. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »
Gee thanks for sharing that gem of wisdom.  Guess since it's not a 45-70 or a rimmed cartridge I'll will only get smug, veiled comments.

Hold on there pard.  ;) ::)

First off WELCOME!!

Values differ across this country. That gun was about $350 retail new, so $250 to 275 as bought if in good shape.

Some folks think these things are rare and command top dollar. WE ALL like to think we can get top $$ for our favorite guns.
I'm just guessing here, but I think what Larry was telling you is its worth what someone pays for it. It my be worth more to someone who has been looking and wanting it and not so much to the guy with three of them... Its worth what you get for it. I am sure he meant you no disrespect...

Good luck with the sale,

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rdevett

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:34:42 PM »
Thank you for the reply CW. 

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
Sorry you took that badly, I just sold a Savage 340 on GB, I thought it would go for about $275 or $300, it went at $416.  If you what what it is worth auction it off, no one will pay more just because you ask more.  That said, a .243 is very common and will probably not fetch a lot of money used.  Right now there are about 8 of them on there, lowest is at $235 and no bids, so they are worth some place south of $235.00.  If I were to guess it would probably go for a little under $200.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline coon007

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
these 243 guns are great for kids and bring top dollar down here in the south for deer season.....cant hardly find them anywhere.....$275 sounds good ----they dont care about ultra ...they just want a 243.......the plain pallet wood stock sells for around $220/250 used

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »
if i see a gun i like and want it bad ill pay more. but i have a limit some guys don't i have bid on gun broker for some guns go for a lot more than there worth.it is a real hassle to register on there sight to bid also people have it set up to automatic bid prices jump fast.  ???

Offline jeneks84k10

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:26:09 AM »
.243s are well known deer slayers around here and you can usually expect to get what you're asking if its in reason. Ive seen several guns in shops being sold for almost their new value just because it is a popular caliber.

That being said I know of a least two stores here that I can go into and if they have a used handi it doesnt matter what it is $200 cash or less so I wont pay any more than that. I strongly agree that it is only worth what someone will pay. Another hobby I have is building old 4x4 chevys for fourwheeling purposes and buy and sell a lot of parts. The parts are only worth as much as someone will pay.

I suggest you try to sell it for what you want out of it and if nobody is willing to pay that, lower your price or keep it.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 04:06:29 AM »
.243s are ...    only worth as much as someone will pay.

I suggest you try to sell it for what you want out of it and if nobody is willing to pay that, lower your price or keep it.

or as trotterlg said:

Auction it off on gunbroker and you will know what the fair price is at the end of the auction.  A gun is worth what someone will pay for it, so start it at $10.00 and no reserve and in 5 days you will know what it is worth.  Larry

He was answering your question as you posed it, and he gave you good advice.  Believe me, he is quite the gentleman, as far as questions go.

Unlike like me, when someone  :-X posts what I believe are "questionable" statements (usually in the "political commentary forums").   ;)

Anyway welcome!

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.