Author Topic: Primer seating issue....... resolution  (Read 447 times)

Offline deerandduck

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Contributor
Primer seating issue....... resolution
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »
I've been reloading for about 15 years and am still using the original Lee Auto Prime for all my reloading.  This thing has seen thousands(+) of rounds.  Recently, I noticed that my 38 spl were binding in my revolvers and that the primers were not seated as deep.  And I was getting some hammer hits that did not go off the first time (but did on second).

So I guessed that my AutoPrime was getting wore out.  After looking at the "Cam", I noticed wear.  So I supposed I will have to buy a new one......

Wait, I will fix it.   

So I took some Devcon epxoy and added it to the end of the plunger that touches the cam.  I had scorred this surface with my Dremel tool first.  After letting it dry for a day or so, I shaped it similiar to the original concave surface but left about a 1/8" of devcon.  I tested it  and it works.

Now the big question..... how long will it last?  Time will tell.  At least, I saved some money for now.

Deerandduck

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Primer seating issue....... resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:51:04 AM »
Frugal.
That's,, Uhm,, Frugal,,  ???
found elsewhere

Offline Lost Oki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
D&D, did you contact Lee.  My dealings with Lee over the years - excellent customer service.  I have had my lee primer tool since 1972, lots of round thru it.  My metal plunger shows no wear.  Question - are you saving money or just wanted to see if you can get it to work. 

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »
Some primers are harder to seat than others--I have had problems with CCI--and other than using federal primers in federal brass have had a lot of headaches using other brand primers in federal brass. Winchester and remington primers seem to work pretty welll in most brass--winchester primers even work somewhat in federal brass--but still have had problems.

My auto prime I bought in 1972 and other than having to watch to make sure that the primer doesn't turn on its side when being brought up still works pretty well. I think the plastic is worn where the primers rise to the base of the brass and catches a little once in awhile.

cybin

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:48:58 AM »
ive gone through many of them. I usually buy them two at a time and just toss the old ones. It probabl would be smarter to try to deal with lee and get parts but a guy just likes new things once in a while :P
blue lives matter

Offline deerandduck

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:09:51 AM »
Yeah, I am just being cheap ;D .....  and wanted to see if I could fix it.

I did contact Lee and the parts that I need are no longer available.  They have 2 new models out and are pushing them.  I may get one when my old auto-prime really dies.

Yeah, I've had all kinds of minor issues while using the auto-prime.  Some upsides down, some side ways, some just don't fit into those crimped military ones....  Been there, done all of it.  Usually its my fault for getting in a hurry.  The auto-prime is pretty good, but only as good as the operators attention.

thanks,
Deerandduck

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:57:11 AM »
Good Repair!

While I agree with the others that the cost and avalibility of the auto prime makes yours worth a toss into the garbage can, This is not going to be true with some items where you just cannot get the parts. The high preformance glues or epoxy's coupled with homemade jigs, a vice, and perhaps a hand made tool can get you through a lot of times. Especially if you like to do fabrication.

One tip on the Lee Autoprime would be to utilize the compound leverage built in to that tool. Start by slowing down your priming to allow you to "feel" just when that primer stirrup just does touch the bottom of the primer pocket. This is going to be perhaps a .005-.008 recess into the pocket and save you from any binding up while out at the range. The real benifit is going to be more consistant ignition.