Author Topic: dies for 308win  (Read 866 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
dies for 308win
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:25:10 AM »
I am shopping around for dies to start reloading for my 308win.   I have a couple of the hornady dies and while I dont have all that much time with them I have had no problems.   I did see bad reviews on these dies for the 308 so I was thinking about a different brand.   I was leaning towards trying the redding dies so any pros and cons between the two would be a great help.  I will be loading for a handi if that helps.  Also is there any diffenence  between the federal and remington brass.  thanks again. 
  Oh I forgot to add that I have a single stage press but might want to load on the hornady LNP press in the future. 

Offline parkergunshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
Re: dies for 308win
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:01:30 AM »
Original,
I have just about all brands of dies except for Lees.     RCBS, Hornady, C&H, Lyman, Redding, Pacific, Bonanza, of the bunch, Redding is as good as anything else and better than most.   I bought 20 sets of Bonanza dies and spare parts when they discontinued their reloading line.
I would go with the Reddings, if I needed another set of dies.  The Lees are cheapos you get what you pay for to a large degree when buying reloading equipment.   I use  C&H and Redding presses both compound leverage types.  The Redding press works better with the long rounds like the .375 H&H, but as far as being rigid, the C&H no longer made, is the best.
Both Remington and Federal Brass is ok,  however Federal makes nickel brass for the .308 Winchester which I use, it is better quality and works better when reloading, the outer surface being nickel is slicker than standard brass.

U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »
I do like the tapered expander ball on the Hornady dies but I  like to leave the stem a little loose to let the expander ball self center when coming out so I don't use them much. As I need new dies I ALWAYS buy Redding. I read in Hanloader a few years ago that they are cut w/a 1 piece reamer (body and neck) but that other unmentioned ones are all reamed  body first then neck. Example all are originally 25-06 then neck reamed to 270-280-30-06 or 243 then 260-7/08/308/338 fed/358. Also get a Redding carbide expander ball kit which is loose on the stem and self centers anyway, especially for a 223 when loading a lot of ammo. I always buy Redding now-Muddy

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
Hornady are my preferred dies for all my reloading. I prolly have about as many RCBS as Hornady but for the rounds I regularly load I'm replacing my RCBS dies with Hornady and all calibers to me I order Hornady. I also load on a Hornady press.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:06:31 AM »
I am shopping around for dies to start reloading for my 308win.   I have a couple of the hornady dies and while I dont have all that much time with them I have had no problems.   I did see bad reviews on these dies for the 308 so I was thinking about a different brand.

If you aren't having problems with the Hornady dies keep using them and don't go to something else just because someone gave them bad reviews.

I have dies by Pacific, Hornady, Lee, RCBS and Redding.  Hornady dies are not my preferred ones; not because they are bad but because they all come in the HUGE size whether or hot the cartridge is large and the storage box is big and clunky; not good reasons I know.  I buy mostly Redding and RCBS dies currently in about equal numbers.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:14:14 AM »
My first preference has been Redding for many years, I think they offer the best quality for the dollar. I definitely feel the polish on them is best.

That being said, you will likely find no difference comparing RCBS, Lyman, (current) Hornady dies. All are readily available and cheaper than the Reddings by a few bucks.

Best of luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:25:15 AM »
" I did see bad reviews on these (Hornady) dies for the 308 so I was thinking about a different brand."

None of our makers produce 'bad' dies (or presses), what drives experienced reloaders into different camps are small differences in prefered user features and external appearance, neither of which have any impact on the end goal of making quality ammo.    Most - if not all - of the "bad reviews" you see are due to noob mistakes and noobs sure don't limit themselves to Hornady's dies for that!  Hornady's aren't my personal preference but they are fine dies, use what you have with confidence.   
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Uncle Harry

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:29:36 AM »
I own Lee, RCBS, Dillon and Hornady dies. Personal favorite is Hornady because of their seating die design. Lee collet neck sizing dies are also tops for me.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:39:47 PM »
I own Lee, RCBS, Dillon and Hornady dies. Personal favorite is Hornady because of their seating die design. Lee collet neck sizing dies are also tops for me.

+1 on the Lee Collet Dies.  I purchase a Lee Deluxe Rifle Die set for each bottle neck that has it available.  In my 7.5x55 Swiss I had to order the collet separate, but it still works great.  I only full size once every 3 reloads or when starting fresh brass.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline wwjmbd

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »
Ive got Lyman, Rcbs, Lee and Redding on my reloading bench, I havent really had any issues with any of them yet. I dont load as many rounds as most reloaders but Ive been loading for about 8 years now.

The only advice I could give is that if I had it to do all over again I would take the time to find dies from the same manufacturer for all my rifles just to make it more straitforward switching between calibers and different brands of dies. They arent that much different but each manufacturer has their own quirks with their dies and when using the same brand it would just make it simpeler.

When I was buying dies I was just happy to find the ones I needed and it didnt matter the manufacturer because they were difficult to find in the first place.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 04:57:58 AM »
I am shopping around for dies to start reloading for my 308win.   I have a couple of the hornady dies and while I dont have all that much time with them I have had no problems.   I did see bad reviews on these dies for the 308 so I was thinking about a different brand.   I was leaning towards trying the redding dies so any pros and cons between the two would be a great help.  I will be loading for a handi if that helps.  Also is there any diffenence  between the federal and remington brass.  thanks again. 
  Oh I forgot to add that I have a single stage press but might want to load on the hornady LNP press in the future.

My .308 is a Remington 700 milspec bolt action. I reload using RCBS Competition Dies with a micro adjust bullet seater. this has been a very nice die set and my results have been impressive. I use an RCBS single stage press for my precision reloading.

My primary brass that I reload is Winchester. I start off with new brass when I'm separating brass into groups and preparing brass for the 1st time.

My 2nd choice is Federal Brass...I don't/won't use Remington Brass. Remington Brass has to many variations in case volumes within their manufacturing lot runs...Winchester has proven to be very consistant in their manufacturing and case volumes; while I have found that Federal Brass is between the two, but closer to Winchester in overall quality.

The premium brass like Norma and Lapua are just to expensive in my opinion, and I can create the same high quality case by carefully prepping a Winchester case.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 05:56:19 AM »
Stick with your Hornady dies if that's what you perfer. The bad reviews are most likely a novice hand loader not understanding how to setup the Hornady dies.

I use mostly RCBS, but also some Hornady, Redding and Herter's dies and all perform flawlessly.

I use a RCBS Rock Chucker II and also my fathers old Herter's press which I bet weighs twice as much as my RCBS RC'r.

yooper77

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:45 AM »
That old Herters Press was such a great product.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 04:40:00 AM »
I like Redding dies first then RCBS. Both will stand behind their products .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 05:32:28 AM »
RCBS X - die (standard base) for FL sizing, particularly if you have a gas, SS or lever gun, as you won't need to trim and case life is excellent.  Bonanza Benchrest NS dies with micrometer seater for NSing and seating.

Larry Gibson

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 07:24:54 AM »
pm sent
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 09:21:38 AM »
I prefer Redding over the rest. If you check benchrest shooters, they use Redding, or custom dies, which are much more expensive than Redding. I can't shoot as good as those guys, but, it's nice knowing my equipment is on par with what they use. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 07:51:41 PM »
thanks for all the replies.  After a lot of going back and fourth I went with the hornady dies and the neck sizing hornady

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 11:41:24 PM »
thanks for all the replies.  After a lot of going back and fourth I went with the hornady dies and the neck sizing hornady

I am sure they will work fine for ya!  ;)

Good luck with them!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.