Author Topic: new 243 build  (Read 412 times)

Offline MNSHOOTER

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
new 243 build
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »
I put together a .243 over the winter out of a bunch of mixed up parts. A satin nickel reciver , a 22" med contour .243 win  barrel ,  feeler gauge shim on the hinge pin fitted  and milled to fit tight to the latch , a pallet wood hi comb sock that turned out to be birch with realy nice grain, after a few hours of work and a dozen coats of mahogany stain and tru oil I would'nt trade it for a laminate!. The first time to the range was a let down to say the least, it had vertical stringing of over 3" . It shot perfect right and left but all over up and down!! I have a bunch of single shots and this is the first one I have put together that I did not look at the forend . I took it for granted it would "shoot". Well after spending about an hour takeing down the wood to clear a doller bill, then beding the screw area "about an inch piller" with brownels glass ... it shot 5 into a .411" group today, waiting 10 min. between shots at 100 yrds !!!  Man you gotta love these handis!!! What else can you tinker with and get this kind of accuracy for the $230 I spent? It helps my father was a gunsmith and taught me the working order of most firearms... Still I have very expensive custom bolt guns that I have not had this much fun with......Mark

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: new 243 build
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »
Congrats!  That is impressive with a 243 Handi as that seems to be the caliber that gives a lot of folks trouble.  Factory ammo or handloads?  How did you attach your shim to the pivot?  Epoxy, solder or ???

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:54:32 AM »
Good job!!
 VERY satisfying doing the job yourself and having it reward you with such an awesome grouping!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MNSHOOTER

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »
I used epoxy on the shim . The loads were a4350 with a 70gr tnt on top and win std-magnum primers. Mid range on the chart. It flat out shoots !! I am the first to admit that a group that small had some luck involved! ;D  I cant wait to try it on a coyote.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
I used epoxy on the shim . The loads were a4350 with a 70gr tnt on top and win std-magnum primers. Mid range on the chart. It flat out shoots !! I am the first to admit that a group that small had some luck involved! ;D  I cant wait to try it on a coyote.

4350 is my .243 Powder too!

I don't load those super light weights, but its very accurate with my Sierra 85 HPs and 100 Hornady RN slugs.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.