Author Topic: 45-70 handi and cast WW bullets??  (Read 463 times)

Offline gatorshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Live from the Bayou State
45-70 handi and cast WW bullets??
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:49:13 AM »
OK, So I have a marlin Guide gun in 45-70 and got it all tricked out with XS iron sights and such. found out the marlin bbls are a tad oversize so I find Ranchdog outdoors makes a fine bullet mold made just for the Marlin lever guns. My state now allows the Handi in 40 cal and up as a "primitive" arm so, lucky me, I got the short bbl synth stocked 45-70 and scope it. (obtw did the trigger job last night 3.5 #s I'm really liking this rifle..... thanks for the link found here on this forum somewhere)

I have found the 420 gr gas checked water quinched Wheel weight bullet shoots very well out my lever gun and so far the few rounds fired seems accurate out my Handi.  Here is the question, When I crimp my load in the crimp groove of the bullet ( must have for my lever)  and then load said round in my handi it slightly engraves the rifling into the bullet ogive.  Is this a big safety issue or what?  is it the poss. that the bullet will stick in the rifling and upon extracting unfired round leave the bullet behind.. I am loading H4895 powder and don't see any high pressure signs. Are Handi rifles in 45-70 that short chambered? I would like to use both my rifles with the same load.
Rockin the River and Shakin the Lake.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 45-70 handi and cast WW bullets??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »
Short throated H&R 45-70s are common, have been for a long time, there are hundreds of discussions on it. With good neck tension, there's probably no problem with leaving a bullet stuck in the throat as long as the round extracts ok, would be more of a problem on an ejector barrel, spending $10 for a Lee factory crimp die would eliminate the possibility tho. As long as you're working the load up with the same COL with the bullet into the lands from the get go, should be fine, loading cast bullets to engrave slightly on chambering is commonly used to improve accuracy.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
I load mine to just barely engrave the rifling, but have been thinking about reaming the throat a tad longer just to see what I could do with finger loaded paper patched bullets.  Accuracy with hammer lead (lead from old lead hammers) has proven to be dependent more on the lube and powder charge than touching or not touching the lands.  Mine may be the exception, but I have yet to be disappointed with the accuracy.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
I load my 44 and 45 cal Handis with the bullet into the rifling and no crimp.  I do this with cast and jacketed bullets and have yet to have a bullet stick in the throat when I remove a loaded round. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gatorshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Live from the Bayou State
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I just may have stumbled on a good thing. Just didn't want to be messing anything up. We shall see how this load does next hunting season.. Didn't see anything to shoot the days I carried my handi. Had loggers move in my stand area right after bow season. glad I scored with my bow...
Rockin the River and Shakin the Lake.