Author Topic: Anyone shootin' 45-70 with black powder?  (Read 664 times)

Offline Jeff O

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone shootin' 45-70 with black powder?
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:43:24 AM »
I'm getting set up to load some 45-70 with black powder  ;D and I've got everything except the bullets.  Can anyone recommend a source for cast bullets that will shoot well in a Handi stuffed full of Goex?  I used to cast my own for cap-and-ball revolvers but casting really isn't an option for me right now.  :'(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Anyone shootin' 45-70 with black powder?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »
Blackhorn's site also lists a number of 45-70 loads.  I believe all are Laser Cast bullets.  Overpowder wads and dacon filler, too, IIRC.

Offline Jeff O

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »
Thanks Tim, I saw that in the FAQ the other day, lots of good information. I wish I was in a spot to just cast my own bullets as he did.  Now I have an idea about what mold to get in the future.

I'll have to spend some time going through Blackhorn's , I had not run across it while scouring the internet. 

I actually bought some .459 405 gr laser-cast bullets and returned them after realizing they were likely loaded with smokeless lube. It might just be worth buying 'em and melting the smokeless lube off or stuffing a lube cookie in over the BP

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »
I've shot quite a few, but quit because I'm too lazy to clean up the brass and the gun :o

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Jeff O

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »
Dang. I don't  mind cleaning the gun but I didn't give much thought to cleaning the brass...

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:53:13 AM »
PM me.  I shoot BP in my Buffalo.  For a load try this.......45 cal, 405 grn cast lead, Sized .458 & SPG lubed sitting over a .30 veg wad over 63 grns FF Swiss.  I use a large rifle primer and Starline brass.  Its a good shooting load, with minimal recoil and a good degree of accuracy to 125 (so far).  In my Shrikari I shoot 405 amd 55 grns FF.  That is a very sweet load.

In general brass is best decapped ASAP ) I do it at the range) drop into a jug of soapy water and let them slosh about on the ride home and then I wash them all in VERY hot water, dry and tumble.  Clean brass is a +++++

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:11:07 AM »
I never shot real BP but I did try a bunch of rounds with pyrodex, 777 and BH209.   I stopped because I didn't like the cleaning of the gun or the brass.  Also, I had to disassemble a receiver to clean it out from a little bit of blowback. :P   I do miss the big cloud of smoke. ;)
BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »
I've shot 777 in the 45-120, but it uses 95gr per shot, compared to less than half that of smokeless to get the same velocity. 777 costs about the same as smokeless powder, so there's no reason to use it, Goex is hard to get around here, and I don't shoot it enough to warrent an internet order of the minimum of 5lbs, so for me shooting BP or a sub doesn't make much sense, that's not even considering the extra work it requires.  In the 45-70, 24-30gr Alliant 2400 will do the same or better than a case full of Goex.....just without the smoke or clean up issues.   8)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »
Tim:     SMOKELESS POWDER IS A PASSING FANCY    ;D ;) ;D 

Offline Jeff O

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »
That's basically the load I envisioned Topper.  Of course, that was until I started running around town trying to find components.   :o   I wanted Starline brass but Winchester was all I could find. Got my hands on some FF Goex, I didn't see any Swiss powder. I'm gonna try some .30 vegetable fiber wads as you suggested and I think I found a source for some cast bullets.

That leaves me with a couple questions for now:

1. Have you tried Goex and if so how does it compare to the Swill? ...Since that's all I can find I guess I really don't have a choice though.

2. Have you tried .459 bullets in you Buffalo? I read somewhere that .459 might be better but if .458 shoots well then so be it.

Tim, I'd like to load some smokeless as well but as Bikerbeans said "I do miss the big cloud of smoke."  ;D

Thanks for the input gentlemen

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »
I found locally 405gr Sutters Choice lubed bullets.  I shoot them in the 45-90 with 777, but I have run a couple of sessions in the 45-70 and 777.  If it wasnt a single shot with the easily removed barrel, I would not be doing it. 

The one gun I do hate to shoot due to cleanup is my cap/ball revolver with brass frame.  I have to get out the flix to polish off the tarnish.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 07:03:14 PM »
I don't understand all the hoopla about black powder. There are lots of modern powders on the market that duplicate black powder ballistics without all the fuss.

Spanky

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 05:25:02 AM »
I don't understand all the hoopla about black powder. There are lots of modern powders on the market that duplicate black powder ballistics without all the PUFF.

fixed that for ya..   :D