Author Topic: Gonna buy my first handi  (Read 1109 times)

Offline 115grfmj

• Trade Count: (0)
Gonna buy my first handi
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
Hello all  I'm new here. I've been bitten by the handi bug and have made up my mind to take the plunge. I want to start with the 243, though it will be going back this summer for a 20gauge barrel and a 35 whelen barrel.....Maybe a muzzle loader while I'm at it. I was planning on going with the scope package to start, or should I get the Heavy barrel, or should I get the Ultra with laminate. Do you think the HB is worth it, and if so is the ultra better. Also I know it's alot of question but what do you think of the 243 as an all around up to Black bear (excluding moose etc).
Thank you very much.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Gonna buy my first handi
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
Welcome aboard. :)

The 243 is a fine cartridge for varmints or medium game. Some people have very good luck with the 243 Handi's while others have cursed them. The superlight model really got a bad rap because the thin barrel heated up quickly and shots went wild. The key with the superlights is to not heat them up. The standard and bull barrels don't seem to be as affected and generally seem to shoot better. The Ultra is pretty much the same gun with different stocks and some have a longer barrel. I don't think either one would be more accurate than the other. If you're planning on carrying it alot I'd go for the standard barrel and save yourself some weight. As far as the other barrels... the 20's are good ones and the muzzleloaders are good if you can get one. The Whelens have been plagued with problems and I don't know if they'll ever get them completely sorted. The 30-06 might be a better choice as an all around big game Handi. Some people have had good luck with the 35's though so maybe it's just the luck of the draw. ???
Whichever you choose... good luck and once again welcome to the site.

Spanky

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
I'd go with the 7mm-08 for an all rounder.  It'll do everything a .243 will and more.  If you're gonna drag it around hunting, I wouldn't consider a bull barrel.  That one is best off a bench.  The superlight 20 incher is great in the woods, easy to carry and will shoot a loooooong way if ya need it.  You could never tell I like that rifle ::)

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »
Welcome, if hunting bear is in your future and never have hunted them, I think I would want something with more punch.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:46:45 PM »
The 243 Handi has caused more accuracy questions here on the board than all others combined.  Unless you have some real good reason to have a .243 I would start with any other one.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
Howdy, and welcome.

I'm guessing by your nickname you are a fan of the 9mm or are using issued ammo  ;)

Hello all  I'm new here. I've been bitten by the handi bug and have made up my mind to take the plunge. I want to start with the 243, though it will be going back this summer for a 20gauge barrel and a 35 whelen barrel.....Maybe a muzzle loader while I'm at it. I was planning on going with the scope package to start, or should I get the Heavy barrel, or should I get the Ultra with laminate. Do you think the HB is worth it, and if so is the ultra better. Also I know it's alot of question but what do you think of the 243 as an all around up to Black bear (excluding moose etc).
Thank you very much.

Lots of questions here, you'll get lots of answers.  My 2 cents : .243 is good for varmit, whitetail deer, coyotes, etc.  Accurate, low recoil, good multi-purpose round.  The Heavy Barrel is a solid performer, and as Spanky said the Ultra gets you better stocks.  Haunt the classifieds for a shotgun and a muzzle loader barrel, it'll save you a bunch of money, and fitting the barrels yourself ain't hard.  It's explained pretty well in the stickys.  The .35 Whelen I hear alot about in the complaint department, but that is an excellent round for larger game.  The 45-70 when handloaded, or when you buy the higher pressure loads from Corbon, and others, is likely as good a performer.  At least out to 100 yards.  petemi makes a good point about the 7mm-08, it kicks a bit more than the .243, but no where near what the .35 Whelen does, so it is also worth considering.

Have fun, and don't take us too seriously, we all have opinions... ;)

Keith
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 03:01:09 PM »
All you have to do is buy one doesn't matter what caliber and before you know it you will have one for anything you wanna hunt
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline keith44

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »
All you have to do is buy one doesn't matter what caliber and before you know it you will have one for anything you wanna hunt

at least one  :D
Life member NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 03:25:47 PM »
WELCOME!!

I too would want more caliber, BUT if thats what I had I would use a good bullet and be sure of my shots and not worry. The lil 243 is up to the task if you are!

My own is a Varmint modle with the longer bull barrel and it shoots GREAT!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 06:01:44 PM »
Welcome- I can not add to the conversation about your caliber choice, but I have a 22 inch bull barrel .223 a 24 inch bull barrel .223 and a standard  barrel .22 hornet and a standard barrel 22-250 and I would much rather carry the standard barrels out in the woods unless you only hunt from a stand with a rest or some type of adapted bi-pod. I get good accuracy from the standard barrels too but the weight difference is a big deal to me. With a low recoil gun unless you are going to shoot many rounds in a row (prairie dog type shooting) I wouldn't go bull barrel.  You will enjoy which ever you get but I like to sneak hunt with my gun not on the sling but carried semi-ready, last fall I finished building my as light as possible short light 7-08 with synthetics to make it the hunter I wanted, I am pleased. But you may need a bull barrel and not mind a short carry to your stand.  Just my .02, thejanitor

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 08:07:49 PM »
Howdy and we welcome you aboard.
  I bought a 243 youth with 20" liteweight bbl. last summer. Mounted scope and shot it last summer when temp was hot, shot all over the place with 80 gr. bullets, bbl. got HOT really quick.
  I came to this sight and done a lot of reading, seems this was common for this cartridge/bbl.wt. After adding a o-ring, which tip I learned here and weather cooling down, took the scope off and shot 3" group at 100yds. with iron sights. I plan on putting a better scope on it for another range session while the temp is cool.
  I love the way this little gun handles and how easy it is to carry I believe about 5 lbs. I would like to have another bbl/caliber with the same bbl.. This is the  Right name for this gun,, Handi.
  I also have a 30-30 topper bbl. on a SB-1 that I like very well also, got help from "mechanic" here on site,for it too.
 A 223 with regular bbl., shoots pretty good, I like it too,,, A 20 ga. shorty that I like also, A 45-70 that I don't shoot much but I like it too, and a 410 that I don't shoot but I like it too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,beginning to get the picture?? LOL
  They are addicting.   I don't think I would like a 243 for big black bears or moose, the 243, like almost any descent rifle cartridge will kill them  but a little larger would be my choice.  Just my opinion
  I am a new to the Handi shooters as well  but they are fun; and there are so many people here that are willing to share info and help so unselfeshly, you can't go wrong.
  I may have failed to mention that, I LIKE HANDI RIFLES/SHOTGUNS!!!!!
  safety first
  HM

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
I have family members that put Many deer in the freezer with a .243, but I think that would be the biggest animal I would want to shoot with that caliber. I have seen enough Black Bears shot with. 284-.30 Cal rifles that were double lung and even heart shots, but the buggers Still gave us a tracking expedition. I personally don't shoot smaller than a .30 Cal for bears anymore.
Congrats on the Handi and Welcome to the Addiction.:)
I like BIG Boolits.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 02:26:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  I won't suggest anything on calibers since we all have our favorites.  I always say hunting is first and foremost Recreation.  Hunt with what you like to hunt with as long as it's big enough for the game you are after.

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 04:09:41 AM »
Welcome to Handiville!!  These guns are habit forming and challenging, however they are a lot of fun.  I have a bull 22" 204 with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 x 14 and it loves the yotes that get out about 250 yds and think they are safe!
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 05:04:22 AM »
Welcome!
 My advice to you is to buy the Handi in the caliber you want.  While my personal choice for a bear rifle would be something with a little more "oomph!", the .243 can take a Black bear with  proper shot placement, and the right bullet.
 Spanky gave you great advice, if you want better wood, buy the Ultra, otherwise, just buy the regular Handi.  You can always upgrade to Ultra wood in the future.  As far as choosing between a heavy barrel and the standard barrel, unless you plan on just carrying the gun to a stand, I would recommend the standard barrel.
 I definitely recommend getting a 50Cal muzzle loader, it's just too much fun shooting BP, to not get one. 
 Be careful, buying a Handi is very addicting.  Before you know it, you'll own a Handi in 30-30, .223, 45-70, .308, 50Cal BP, 20Ga, 12Ga, etc........... ;D

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline 115grfmj

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
Thank you Gentlemen. Went with the SBS243 standard barrel as this will be a hunting gun. Already planning out my next barrels. Definately the 20 guage. Thinking the muzzloader, not sure which caliber to go with for heavy game like Moose ( my dad keeps inviting me up to his place in Newfoundland for Moose, or black bear).  I could hunt black across the river in the Poconos even, although I'm sure they get bigger in Canada. Maybe the 35 whelen, or 45-70 or even the 50 S&W. What would you get if you could have only two calibers...I know I know :o , and you already had the 243. Advise me gentlemen.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »
The Whelen has had too many problems in the past to be attractive to me.  The .500's range is too short and the .45-70 is about my favorite big bore rifle......if that tells ya anything.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »
I may be late to this party but welcome aboard buddy. If you haven't picked up that .243 yet I would suggest you rethink it. The .243 has been one of the problematic cartridges accuracy wise for Handis. I know some here have tack drivers but most require a lot of work to make them accurate, if they can be brought around. For you first Handi I would suggest something you can shoot a lot and ammo is available everywhere for a reasonabe cost. Until you mentioned the back gun game up to black bear I would have suggested a .223. .223 ammo is relatively inexpensive and plentiful and the .223 has been very accurate for we Handiholics. When you mentioned black bear a good common and well respected round is the underated 30-30. In a single shot you can load spitzer and .308 style bullets and almost reach .308 ballistics in an old tried and true rimmed cartridge. If you don't yet reload you could alway shoot the Hornady 30-30 Leverloution out of it and almost duplicate a .308, also 30-30 ammo is available everywhere and is usually on sale.
That said, for your second Handi, no problem,the answer is simple, if you are talking centerfires and after getting a 30-30 Handi for your first (remember the black bears?) get a 45-70 for your second Handi, why you ask? It's simple, everyone NEEDS a Handi in 45-70, perhaps in a Buffalo Classic configuration, THAT will be your bear gun...then you can get the cheap and accurate .223....and on, and on, and on...
Again my friend, welcome aboard and hold on tight, you are in for a great ride when you start with Handis. Come often and stay late, when you are here you are among friends....<><.... :) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
What MSP said....+1

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline 115grfmj

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »
We'll I did it ;D  I picked up my 243. I did have to order it though as no one had any available in any caliber locally. Suprisingly good grain on the "Pallet wood" which is definately Birch (I'm a wood worker). Blue finish on the reciever is nicely polished and smooth.....barrel is a little less polished. Barrel crown looks good, and clean. Trigger breaks around5 lbs, smooth and crisp. Forend spacer does not sit flush on one side kinda sticks out, not sure how I would fix that! Now I just have to pick acouple of different brands of 100gr sp to test for accuracy. I haven't reloaded in years but I plan on doing that in the future. I was also looking at the muzzleloader barrel but the website says that only the polymer forend is available with that, I'm not sure if I could find a wood one for it.

Offline keith44

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 07:07:16 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Ok wood worker  :)  a fore end made of wood is just a piece of wood  ;) .  It does not know that is is not supposed to fit.  pick up a stock set (new, or used) and fit it.
Life member NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »
Congrats!!

I agree, simple fix!!

I have bought a couple metal spacers and fit them to existing wood. I drilled out the screw holes to 5/16 and fit epoxied wooden dowels.  Sanded flush then drilled new holes and attached. Easy. Same fix worked for stripped out recoil pad screws.

Now go shoot and enjoy the 243!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.