Author Topic: Beginner chrono suggestions  (Read 388 times)

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
Beginner chrono suggestions
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:17:09 AM »
Been reloading for about 2-3 years. Decided it's time to invest in a entry level chrono. I am looking at the F1 since it is priced in 70 dollar range. I am currently loading for 223 Rem, 7.62x54R, 303 Brit, 8mm and 7mm Mauser, 30-06, 357 mag/max, 44 mag, and 500 SW. Any other suggestions for an entry level product? Buy used vs new? I reload about 1500 rounds a year so I anticipate fairly light use.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Beginner chrono suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:04:22 AM »
 There's a love/hate relationship going on with just about all chronographs and you'll get mixed reviews of the Shooting Chrony.
 I got one last year after spending a couple months weeding through all the info and shopping for the best price.
 I settled for the F1-Master.

I've been happy with it, the "Master" feature with the remote display was defenately a plus. It allows me to reset between strings and control it at the bench. If someone is next to me at the range the chrony will sometimes pick up the concusion of their shot and have an "error" reading. I don't have to shut the range down so I can step out and flip a switch.
 I found out after I had the F1 for a few months that a switch can be made to retreive all the data available with the Alpha models. They use the same on-board computer chip you just hafta pay extra for the Alpha from the factory to get access to it.
 A few items from Radio Shack and your into the, Average, the ES and SD,, Very Handy!  :D

Con's;
 It's not real happy with the cold, it starts getting into the 20's and it won't read. So here in MN after mid December I'm done using it till spring.
 There is a learning curve for how to set it up in different light conditions, this may be with all chronograph
but it needs direct over head light to see the bullet shadow over the sensors. Our range is set up facing S.W. so in the fall late afternoon the Sun shines "across" the thing and it won't read well
found elsewhere

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 03:35:14 PM »
I'm happy with the cheapest Chrony. It records one shot. The next shot erases the last one and shows on the display. This goes on until you quit shooting. It doesn't do means, spreads, standard deviations or any other statistical data. I record each shot on paper and then take it home and punch it into a spreadsheet I developed. The spreadsheet does the statistical stuff and gives me a handy long term record.

I run a Macintosh and if you do also, and have Apple's iWork application, I'd be happy to share my spreadsheet at no cost to you.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:48:18 PM »
Bought an Oehler 33 back in the very ealry 80's before the less expensive models became available.  This was really a strain on my budget at the time but overall I believe it was well worth it.

In my opinion the Oehler is tops and the most trustworthy.    Have witnessed some pretty good variations in my Oehler and cheaper chronos.

Ken 
NRA Life Member

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »
Why not just go ahead and start with the best and not have to buy again later. Oehler is once again making the 35P with three screens to detect erroneous readings. I tried a cheap Chrony and it never worked from the get go. I finally got a refund from them and bought the Oehler and have never looked back.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:51:31 AM »
Like Sr Sawyer I have an older Oehler 33 and about 3 years ago I bought a Chrony while the Oehler was in for repairs.  Not a nickles worth of difference in readings or dependability when used side by side.  The Chrony works fine as long as it is mounted on a solid tripod.  Use a substandard tripod and you'll get nothing but trouble but the screens must be set up solidly for the Oehler to operate correctly also.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 02:04:35 AM »
ive had a couple chronys and didnt care for them. they werent reliable and neither of mine were calibrated properly. Ive got a pact now and like it but it isnt really cheap. Im going to do something here i rarely do. Im going to recomend something that ive never used myself. My buddy who i trust completely and who has more experience shooting then about anyone in this country bought himself one of those cheap rcbs bullet chronys so that he would have to leave his ohler down at one of his shooting pits. He said that its about amazing. Its just as accurate and reliable as his ohler and the readings he gets from it are about dead nuts the same as the ohler. He borrowed my pact last year when his ohler screens got shot (by me) and said in his opinion the cheap rcbs was a more reliable unit then my pact. Might be worth taking a chance on.
blue lives matter

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »
Like my ancient Oehler but it takes some time to set up right. And blast shield is usually a good idea to reduce bad readings.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA