Author Topic: Smith and Wesson I-Bolt recoil reducers, don't waste your money  (Read 2728 times)

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
Re: Smith and Wesson I-Bolt recoil reducers, don't waste your money
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 07:03:17 AM »
My NEF Turkey Gun came from the factory with a steel weight in the stock.
ditto
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline mdwest

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
Correct, I installed it before I shot the gun for the first time...

I did take it out this past weekend while out in the woods on a hunt, and popped off a couple of rounds at the end of it all to see what the difference would be...

I would say it's noticeable.. Not huge.. But enough you know its there (and helps)...

That said, my gun started off under 7lbs.. So adding another pound literally increased the overall weight by almost 15%... it's a short barrel .45-70 (18") with a youth stock, light optic, etc...

With you starting off with a substantially bigger and heavier rifle in that BC, it might not make as big a difference for you...

Offline Charlesp54

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
Well I offered the guy 13 bucks for one and he acceptted it. So that being said I got it for under 20 bucks shipping and all. He has already shipped it. Now if it comes and its a piece of bar stock, It's ON!! I am a seller on that site and I know exactly how to handle that.  ;)

Offline Metaldoc

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Nebraska
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 11:23:16 AM »
FWIW,  I ordered a couple of these from eBay before I saw demented's post so I was prepared to get something other than advertised. 

Turns out they were exactly what was described and what Mdwest received. 

Demented said his were 1" OD and these are .875" so he obviously didn't get the same thing.  There is something that moves in these, but I doubt it is mercury.

Do they work?  I had a mercury filled recoil reducer back in the 70's installed in a Browning Lightening Trap Gun.  It was beating up my cheek on long shoots and I was starting to develop a flinch.  The change in recoil was not great, but it brought it down to a manageable level to where I could shoot 400-500 rounds without a problem.  I expect these will do the same.

Offline Charlesp54

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
I sure hope so. My main problem with my BC is the curve in the butt plate, it makes the top of the stock dig in my shoulder. I know how to fix it but I really don't want to change the looks of my rifle. With the stock angle and the butt plate curve if you try shooting it from the ground your gonna regret it for awhile.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 01:03:05 PM »
 Charles, you can have the one I bought if you want to try it.   It would have to help some, 15 oz. of extra weight IS after all, FIFTEEN more ounces of rifle the blast has to get moving to produce recoil...

Offline Charlesp54

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 01:55:35 PM »
Thanks but mine should be hear Monday. And if that does not work I will just have to cut my loads back.

Offline AlaninNM

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 01:26:26 AM »
FYI - I bought one of these.  It appears to be as advertised.  He accepted my offer of $10

Al

Offline teddybaham

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
Well , I for one can report that the S&W "tattooed" recoil reducer I bought 2 weeks ago on flea-bay, was exactly as described. ;D   Not a solid piece of scap steel, but a steel tube with a very dense sloshing liquid contained within.  I compared it to the the mercury recoil reducer which my daughter has installed in her Benelli Nova 3 1/2", and they feel identical.  I guess it really matters just who one deals with one the flea-bay".  And being aware there are lots of unscrupulous sellers marketing counterfit bovine feces. ;)
RJ
mine too just as described

I can give a +1 to the above..

Not sure who the vendor was that you bought yours from demented.. But mine came new in the box, complete with factory paperwork, weighs 15 oz, and contains a sloshing liquid..
what part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand???