Author Topic: Swivel Gun Authentication  (Read 510 times)

Offline DannyD9192

• Trade Count: (0)
Swivel Gun Authentication
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:15:56 AM »
Hi all,
New to the site and looking for some of your expertise.  I recently purchased what appears to be an antique swivel gun barrel.  It has no markings on the barrel or the trunnions.  It is heavily pitted and has a deep patina on the top but the bottom is not in as rough a shape.  What I find most disconcerting about it is that it has substantial grindmarks around the entire length of the casting seam and some in a portion of the underside of the barrel.  I have no history to it as I bought it online and the seller really couldn't tell me much.  It was purchased from a location in western Canada (British Columbia)I'm trying to find out if it's indeed authentic, reporduction, era, ect.  It's dimensions are:
Length 35"
Bore    1 3/4"
Weight 135 lbs

I've included some images and can include more of the grindmarks if needed.

Thanks Guys.

Offline exlimey

Re: Swivel Gun Authentication
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:31:26 AM »
I do not think you have a swivel gun, just a reproduction of a small Cannon not to any pattern i am aware of . The good news is it seems to be cast around a steel liner, look at the muzzle face there is a difference in color that i see on your Photo,s. I cannot tell if it has been bored for a touch hole to enable it to be fired. I would clean it up to get rid of the grinder marks that the Foundy left after removing the parting line from the pouring process.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:33:22 AM »
DannyD9192,
Welcome to the forum!
There are others here that will comment, but in my opinion, it is a poorly made modern yard ornament. :-\
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:52:14 AM »
welcome!!! :)

Alot of that pitting was the poor casting technique.  Though not much of a help take a look at the first illustration on this thread.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,252745.0.html
Shameless pointer back but hey that barrel REMINDS me of the one illustrated as a Hudson's Bay Company barrel.  I too don't think that is a swivel since it looks to be unbalanced.  There appears to not be any way to attache a tail to the cascabel. The drawing comes from the "Mountain Man Sketch Book" a series of paper backs illustrating the 1820's - 1840's. 

Ok so since it was my post I'll post the image here. 
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:19:35 AM »
Agree with poorly made replica, but does not accurately replicate anything I know of.  Do not try to fire it, ever, please.  If temptation proves too great, do it in an isolated location set up so you can safely retreat behind a mound of earth or thick concrete wall, or opposite side of a vehicle so no part of any human is in a direct line with the "cannon."  Use long enough fuse to get behind cover.  Assume you are setting off a hand grenade, which this might well become on firing.  It just looks like "bad news" to me.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:28:16 AM »
As has been stated by others... Poor reproduction..... These have been produced in the past 10 years as lawn ornaments there is a foundry here in Va. up around Roanoke that was producing ornamental iron for yards and lawns including cannon I believe....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »
Welcome to the board, Danny! Your barrel looks rough on the outside and down the bore, and it's also very possible that there's gas porosity inside the metal. I'd also refrain from firing this piece as is, and I don't think I'd invest the money in having a properly made steel liner intalled in it.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.