Author Topic: Rimmed Cartridges, Neck Resizing, Length?  (Read 514 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Rimmed Cartridges, Neck Resizing, Length?
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:18:25 PM »
Hi All,
   Was wondering, in a rimmed bottleneck cartridge like 30-30, 7.62x54r, .303... is there more latitude in case length similar to .357, .44 and the like? Was thinking, as long as it chambers safely and you aren't crimping, it's not as critical as otherwise. Or am I mistaken?

Similar thought for the non-bottleneck stuff. 45-70, .444, etc. Is there a large latitude with these? I realize they aren't shotshells, but with head spacing on the rim and straight walls, seems like it would be less of a worry point.

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
Re: Rimmed Cartridges, Neck Resizing, Length?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »
I treat rimmed cases the same as rimless in that I neck size and do not push the shoulder back.  The critical aspect of the length is that it can get to the point where the case infringes into the leade portion of the chamber.
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »
>>>rimmed bottleneck cartridge like 30-30, 7.62x54r, .303.<<<
This covers a lot of ground.

1. The 30-30 needs accurate partial sizing or FL sizing to make sure the rifle will close and lock up. (assuming it is a lever gun)
2.  The 7.62X54R would benefit from careful sizing just to make your hard to find brass last though being a bolt gun it will still lock up on cases sized and left a little long at the shoulder.
3. The .303 has a special set of issues that all most deserve a topic by themselves.
The .303 would benefit from careful sizing but not much unless you have PPU - Prvi Partizan brass.
The .303 chambers are oversize and the action is springy. Neck sizing is probably best but watch out you may run into a lot of case head seperations.

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:26:57 PM »
>>>rimmed bottleneck cartridge like 30-30, 7.62x54r, .303.<<<
This covers a lot of ground.

1. The 30-30 needs accurate partial sizing or FL sizing to make sure the rifle will close and lock up. (assuming it is a lever gun)
2.  The 7.62X54R would benefit from careful sizing just to make your hard to find brass last though being a bolt gun it will still lock up on cases sized and left a little long at the shoulder.
3. The .303 has a special set of issues that all most deserve a topic by themselves.
The .303 would benefit from careful sizing but not much unless you have PPU - Prvi Partizan brass.
The .303 chambers are oversize and the action is springy. Neck sizing is probably best but watch out you may run into a lot of case head seperations.

OK, so pretty much (no pun intended) case by case. Not as much latitude as the pistol cases.