Author Topic: An Extremely Rare 16th-17th C. Wood-Cased Grape Shot  (Read 2013 times)

Offline steelcharge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: An Extremely Rare 16th-17th C. Wood-Cased Grape Shot
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 03:30:59 AM »
Steelcharge, need help with that museum site.  I was going to look some more and now the link you gave
http://www.photo.rmn.fr/cf/htm/CSearchT.aspx?Round=2&Total=292&FP=8440520&E=2K1KTSGQZ8J46&SID=2K1KTSGQZ8J46&New=T&Page=1
only goes to pages which are mostly black.  I'm guessing like many museum or library sites which have a search feature, a given search goes dead after a certain length of time.  If that's what happened here, would you be able to refesh the search and perhaps give us a new link so we could continue to view/download those pages?  Thanks again.

Offline steelcharge

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:45 AM »
I'm not sure how the site exactly works but I'd think that links to single items would stay the same even if searches go dead..?

Heres a link to a random cannon model, in the bottom of the page you fill find the keywords for this item and by clicking any of them will automatically search for all items listed for that keyword. So by clicking "petit model d'artillerie" you will find all the 292 images of cannon models again.

http://www.photo.rmn.fr/cf/htm/CSearchZ.aspx?o=&Total=500&FP=1001020&E=2K1KTSGQT8RVF&SID=2K1KTSGQT8RVF&New=T&Pic=455&SubE=2C6NU0BQ93FB

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 05:23:49 AM »
Steel, thanks, that does work!  I took the "copy shorcut" from that keyword phrase and got this which works now, and hopefully will continue to work, but who knows.  If it doesn't, use your method, which should work anytime.
http://www.photo.rmn.fr/cf/htm/Search_New.aspx?KE=2C6NWHEIP92B

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 07:17:22 AM »

Any Infantryman knows what cannonmn’s Cantar represents, it represents perfection in enemy artillery.  A gun for all seasons, all reasons, all conditions and all ranges.  It’s capabilities remind me a lot of that old Bob Dylan song, “Rainy Day Women”, from which I borrowed and modified a few lyrics.

With their cannon at 1,800, they’ll stone ya when you’re trying to be so good
With their cannon, they’ll stone ya when you’re at 1,200 and trying to get to ‘em
With their mortar, they’ll stone ya when you are young and able and behind the hill at 600
With their gun, loaded with grape, they’ll stone ya at 300 and say you are brave
At 75, they’ll stone ya and set you down in your grave
TK

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »
The problem I see with that design is what kind of carriage are you going to mount it on???  If you can get enough elevation to use the mortar, why not use the gun?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »
Well the mortar part already has some elevation to it so the artillery barrel wouldn't need to be elevated a whole lot.  The bigger problem might be in loading the mortar.  If the concept was any good I think they would have adopted it.  That's where howitzers come in as a cross between a gun and a mortar.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
Good find, steelcharge, thanks for posting the link.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 11:47:33 AM »
I'd really like to see Gary make one of these, even if he "Garynizes" the French design, as long as it has at least one cannon and one mortar barrel in one casting, that'll work.  And of course I want to see a video of it firing both barrels, not necessarily simultaneously though.  In fact, I'd like to see one of those built and fired so much I'll buy the powder to shoot it a few times.  Where's Gary these days anyway-casting cannons I hope.
(following photo link stolen from Mr. Zulu; thanks Zulu!)

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »
Besides the other design flaws, it just occurred to me that, in a full size piece, firing the mortar would probably deform the artillery barrel so that at some point it couldn't be loaded. 

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2012, 10:15:55 PM »

deform the artillery barrel

Norm, how do you figure that would happen?   

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 02:35:41 AM »
The mortar on firing puts a lot of downward pressure on the platform as they recoil rearward.  I believe that sooner or later the bore under the mortar will be crushed to some extent keeping a projectile from being loaded.  What would happen if you took a sledge hammer and hammered the top of the barrel long enough and hard enough?

What made me think about this was that several years ago we shrank a trunnion ring on an Ellsworth barrel we were building that already had the bore done.  Afterwards when checking the barrel it was found the bore was constricted under the trunnion ring.