Author Topic: New Toy  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
New Toy
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:57:29 AM »
Went to a gun show today and traded my CVA Optima Pro for this Uberti Colt Walker and got a bit of cash too. Considering the Walkers are bringing $400 on Gun Broker I'd say I did alright. Besides, I always wanted a Walker. :)

Here it is with my 1860 Colt Old Army .44. Look at the differance in the size of the cylinders though both are .44's. The Walker is the most powerful black powder revolver ever made. :)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
Re: New Toy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:33:44 AM »
looks  like a hand full of  fun u brought home ;D

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »
Did it come with wheels???

Offline Camba

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »
Nice collection you've got there.

Camba

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:39:46 AM »
been wanting a Walker off and on for a few years now, might be time to look at em again.  Nice find.  And yes I refer to it as the forefather of the .44 magnum revolver (no it is not really, but a comparison is easily made) 
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:53:22 AM »
From the size of it I would say it could be a fairly serious weapon empty let alone loaded!
GuzziJohn

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
I have one and full loads eventually egged 2 of the chambers so if I had it to do over again, I would download it a bit.  That said, it is a hoot to shoot, very little recoil and gets lots of attention.  You will also  get in the habit of shoot, snap loading lever shut... shoot, snap loading lever shut....

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 01:36:13 AM »
...You will also  get in the habit of shoot, snap loading lever shut... shoot, snap loading lever shut....

A little filing can fix that problem.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:13:36 AM »
Great looking pistol Spirithawk.  They are fun.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »
Thanks Swamp. They sure feel good in the hand and something about that cloud of smoke that gets in your blood. :)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »
Thanks Swamp. They sure feel good in the hand and something about that cloud of smoke that gets in your blood. :)

nothing like a cloud of burnt brimstone to make any day better
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Needles

• Avid Poster
  • What the Thinker thinks the Prover proves.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:39:09 PM »
Nice looking gun! Once, at a range in Tennessee, I heard an old geezer talking about the Colt Walker to another shooter that had one. He claimed it was never supposed to be loaded with more than 50 grains, and was really supposed to be loaded with 40-45 grains. He said it was designed with the deep cylinder so it could be reloaded in battle quickly, without grease, and it still would not flash over and chainfire. Problem was, nobody ever loaded it like that, so it got the reputation for blowing apart. That's why the Dragoon, the Walker's replacement, had a shorter cylinder. I don't know if he knew for sure, or if he was just talking, though I remember reading somewhere that Colt recommended a max load of 50 grains. (I don't think I'd be brave enough to fire one without greasing the cylinder, even with 30-40 grains!)
Jim

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, the night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."  Patrick Rothfuss

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 01:03:29 AM »
... (I don't think I'd be brave enough to fire one without greasing the cylinder, even with 30-40 grains!)...

Greasing the cylinder, while a common practice, has little to do with chain fires and a lot to do with keeping the black powder fouling soft.  The proper sized lead ball prevents chian fires from the muzzle end of the cylinder and properly fitting caps prevent them from the rear.  Sam Colt demonstrated his revovlers frequently and did not use grease over the balls.  No chain fires either.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous