Author Topic: Alcan 7??  (Read 632 times)

Offline handirandy

• GOD, guts, and guns. In that order!
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Alcan 7??
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:28:37 AM »
I recently acquired 1 1/2 lbs. of Alcan 7.  Does anyone have any load 45 acp or 9mm Luger data with this?
This is the day the Lord has made.  I choose to rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Alcan 7??
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:49:36 AM »
From old Speer manuals the following for the 45 ACP:
200gr Jacketed bullet 9.7 gr max= 940'ps
225gr Jacketed bullet 9.2 gr max= 897'ps

I didn't find anything for the 9mm using that powder. I'm assuming it's too slow. I'd check that powder real close to make sure it's still good.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:43:55 AM »
 9MM Parabellum AL-7 A.K.A. ALCAN-7
90 grain JHP
8.0 MAX 1279 fps
7.5 START 1177 fps
125 grain JHP
7.5 Max 1130 fps
7.0          1093 fps
6.5 START 1038 fps
 I used the above as a guideline to load Lee 126-grain cast .355 bullets by friend Gun Runner.  I do not load hot, I load for the range, and at a level to keep my pistol running for a long time.  My AL-7 loads have been fired in a S&W, a Springfield, and a Beretta 92 with satisfactory results.  Most of my 9mm loads are with Unique because I am trying to reduce that inventory item.   
The old Speer data is known to be hot so start low.
How does the powder hold up in long term storage?
When GR gave me the powder he told me to use it for fertilizer if I thought it was bad. The powder has proved to be very good and velocities with 38/357 loads using different bullet weight have proven to me the old powder it good. Unfortunately I had to discontinue my testing. For many years I have not fire handgun loads across the Chrony. After a few hundred I had senior brain fade and did the deed with a load of AL-7 and a 158-grain bullet.
https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/Siskiyou/chronyshot1sized.jpg[/img[/url][/font]]

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:42:24 AM »
Stepping into the Wayback Machine ;D  Some of the fellows that have been around will remember these. Don't think I'll load any of this powder but have kept it around to remind me of an old friend that's been gone a while :'( 

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:43:04 PM »
bigvarmnt:  I like and burned a lot of AL-5 in duck and pheasant loads.  I loaded AL-7 for geese.  AL-5 works okay in the 38 special.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.