Author Topic: The Missing Middle in American Politics- How Moderate Republicans Became Extinct  (Read 620 times)

Offline crustylicious

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
 Moderate Republicans may no longer exist, but their legacy persists, and conservative Republicans will need to recapture the moderates’ creativity and problem-solving impulses if they ever hope to take power, hold on to it, and govern effectively.

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/137287/reihan-salam/the-missing-middle-in-american-politics?page=show
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein

Offline Cuts Crooked

Aside from the fact that the link takes forever to load, moderates helped get us in the mess we're in now.

Don' need em, don' want em!
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
I started reading it, then I nodded off.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline DDZ

and conservative Republicans will need to recapture the moderates’ creativity and problem-solving impulses if they ever hope to take power, hold on to it, and govern effectively.

Didn't read the article. Just reading the sentence above, kind of told me it is most likely loaded with hot air. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
I agree with Cuts Crooked.    I will take true conservatives anyday, and twice on Sunday!!

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
Oh, I get it, you're having semantics issues Crusty. The technical term for moderate republican is RINO. There are lots of them, frequently found in public office and leading the RNC.
held fast

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Oh, I get it, you're having semantics issues Crusty. The technical term for moderate republican is RINO. There are lots of them, frequently found in public office and leading the RNC.

Yep
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)

Yep

Definitely, RINOs are extremely prevalent in public office. They are the biggest part of the problem since they lie to us, tell us they will reduce the size of government while campaigning then when we fall for it and vote for them they reward us by INCREASING the size of government. A perfect example of this is the Bush years. We had a Republican president and majority Republican house and senate. A golden opportunity to reduce the size of government but instead the RINOs decided to grow the size of government by a huge amount.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline magooch

And then cam Obama and company and made absolute pikers out of even the most moderate Republicans to ever breath air.
Swingem

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Moderate Republicans may no longer exist, but their legacy persists, and conservative Republicans will need to recapture the moderates’ creativity and problem-solving impulses if they ever hope to take power, hold on to it, and govern effectively.
 ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Crusty only sees the moderates as disappearing...because the Democraps have all moved over into leftie La La land !
  So, there is now a gap between the scaredy Rinos and the Democraps...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)