Author Topic: swc for 44  (Read 388 times)

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
swc for 44
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:02:01 AM »
I'm picking up some 240gr swc for my 44mag,mainly used for mainly paper shooting and would like to know what speed to load at so I don't get leading.

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
Re: swc for 44
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:43:33 AM »
Danny , Thats a tough question.  There's many facters that contribute to leading , and everyone has their own opinions on the do's and don'ts ...That being said, there's a few articles floating around cyber land that are really great.  I'm thinking one is on GB site here somewhere....maybe someone can enlighten us.  I've dealt with leading issues in several of my revolvers....The best advice I can give is ,  first try to determine the dia. of the bore and cylinder throats.  I've been told to use a bullet dia. .001 larger than the aforementioned dia.s .  Assuming your not using gas-checks ...people have advised to stay around the 1000 fps mark.  But I've determined that depends on the burn rate of your selected powder...man it can really get complicated.  MY load is a 240gr SWC from Oregon Trail  over imr 2400 powder. According to my chrony , I'm pushing around 1150 FPS from my 4" Redhawk.  Very little leading , also when I'm done with the leads , I'll fire 2-3 rounds of my hunting load...240 XTP over W-296 ( warmly loaded ) , that seems to help clean it out. 
Good Luck

As an after thought , Mike Venturino ( author of numerous good articles ), says you can drop your lead SWC in the cylinder of your revolver, if it doesn't fall through , its probably ok ....not sure I like { probably} , but thats what he says.  Also the roughness of a given bore can be a culprit....and the list goes on.

regards , irold

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 04:57:37 AM »
Thanks,I will be picking up a new super blackhawk and mainly break it in and get myself a feel for it,I will try the 1000fps or atleast close and keep checking. i have some 180xtp's loaded with 296 and maybe if I run one through once in awhile will cut my leading chances I don't know. But what I do know from reading on here leading can be a real pain and if done right may be avoided.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:16:52 AM »
The first thing you need to do is slug your bore.  With lead bullets you need to be .001 over the lands diameter to get proper obturation.  This is the main contributor to leading.  Also, once it's slugged, compare your lands dimension to the cylinder throat.  On my blackhawk the throats were reamed .002 to get them large enough not to shave lead.  The throats should be .005 minimum bigger than the lands and as stated above, the bullet should just barely go through with light pressure.  ;)  Velocity should be save un-gaschecked up to about 1600fps which is plenty for most applications.
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:34:10 AM »
My standard load for the 240 gr. cast bullets is 6 gr`s of Bullseye. If oyur bullets are to soft and your getting alot of leading back it down to 4 1/2 or 5 gr`s. Cleaning by fireing some jacketed bullets is the easiest way to clean the lead from the barrel.

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »
AS has been said, many factors here.

I am shooting a cast boolit, 310gr. LFN gas checked at just a touch over 1300fps from a 5.5" barrel and have no problems.

Undersized bullet is likely more of a deal breaker then the velocity.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag