Author Topic: FYI  (Read 834 times)

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
FYI
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:44 AM »
I was at Dick's in Indianapolis today and stopped to look through their firearms catalog. They have Handi .357 mag and 44 mag rifles for $219. The counter guy told me that if they were stock items they would be more, but that the catalog price is what is charged if ordered.

I know that around Indy that's a pretty decent price.

(Edited to add) I see that this info has already been posted. Sorry for the repeat.

Offline Dales66Ford

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: FYI
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:18:57 AM »
Same price here at dicks in NC.  I thought it was a good deal.  The price is decent but the hassel is not.  Took me 30 minutes to get mine ordered.  When it came in I got a call to pick it up, went there and the headache started.  It took about 15 minutes before anyone came to the firearms section.  The guy got my rifle and put it behind the counter and started the paperwork.  When I asked if I could inspect the rifle, he just looked at me and said that he checked it in yesterday and it was what I ordered.?!?!?!  I gave him my Concealed card and he still wanted to call the Feds to verify.  It took his manager to get that straight.  I was finally able to inspect the rifle, but after I opened it to verify it was empty and closed it, he took the gun from me and had to "verify that it was unloaded and safe."  More than 30 minutes later I was then "perp-walked" to the trunk of my car.  They would not even let me buy any ammo while I was there.  I willl have to look elsewhere for my purchases, I think I would rather buy from Walmart.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »
It won't do you any good to go to Walmart.  I just came from there picking up a Pardner Compact Pump 20 ga.  Exact same drill, except they lost mine mis-marked in inventory.  It took another hour for them to figure that one out.  Then, the manager had to go over all the paperwork minutely AFTER BATF had approved it.  I'd rather go to my regular gun shop and step out the back door and shoot it.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
If you have a concealed carry permit, does that mean they dont have to call it in?
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:24:56 AM »
If you have a concealed carry permit, does that mean they dont have to call it in?
     Yup. :)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
Same price here at dicks in NC.  I thought it was a good deal.  The price is decent but the hassel is not.  Took me 30 minutes to get mine ordered.  When it came in I got a call to pick it up, went there and the headache started.  It took about 15 minutes before anyone came to the firearms section.  The guy got my rifle and put it behind the counter and started the paperwork.  When I asked if I could inspect the rifle, he just looked at me and said that he checked it in yesterday and it was what I ordered.?!?!?!  I gave him my Concealed card and he still wanted to call the Feds to verify.  It took his manager to get that straight.  I was finally able to inspect the rifle, but after I opened it to verify it was empty and closed it, he took the gun from me and had to "verify that it was unloaded and safe."  More than 30 minutes later I was then "perp-walked" to the trunk of my car.  They would not even let me buy any ammo while I was there.  I will have to look elsewhere for my purchases, I think I would rather buy from Walmart.

About five years back we hired a guy who was a manager at a Dicks in the firearms dept. He gave us the skinny and much of this is just DICKS requirements. Created by corporate and followed verbatim or your fired. The things they do to and put there employees thru is almost criminal!

I would not put up with it either! ESPECIALLY when your likely more qualified to safely handle that firearm then they are. I can tell you for a fact that I AM! ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:42:54 AM »
A lot of the larger chains have similar protocol.
You just have to decide if the hassle is worth the savings.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Jason F

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »
I just talked to my ffl guy he said some states will use your conceal permit and not call it in,it is up to discretion on store owner. Not all states have passed that law yet,he told me he is still gonna call them in even if west Virginia passes it.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline Jason F

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
Forgot, dicks policy is to call them all in even if person has conceal permit

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 02:56:07 PM »
well, I went to a small gun shop and ordered my 357 handi as I would rather support my small shop. paid 257.00 OTD with all the fees and paper work. In and out in 25 minutes (reason it took so long was due to me looking at other things). ;D Lets see---257.00 minus 219 = 38.00 extra. Personally I think that is reasonable for courtesy, respect, the right to look and disassemble said weapon and support my local gun shop. 8) Big Box stores need to learn some respect  >:( .  God Bless to all and theirs'.

Goofy.

P.S.    plus the fact that I support them I often get discounts on many items.  Support your local Mom and Pop stores!!!

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 04:40:55 PM »
My local mom & pop FFL closed his doors last week, retired, said he just wanted to go fishing. I can't blame him as he is retirement age. That left me looking for another. There is a LARGE gun & pown not 1 mile from me but I like someone I can talk to and not try to sell me the latest Big bucks gun with the $600 scope, and do a transfer for less than $60. I visit one 15 miles away when I am in the area as my daughter lives near there. Was needing a transfer Friday so I stopped in and ask. He treated me as if I had always done business with him and agreed to do transfer for $20.Said I will do it any time, just let me know what ya need. While I was there I drooled over several guns in the rack all I wanted. Can't do that at the big boy stores.
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 11:04:17 AM »
Rodland :    +++10 on what you said. I feel that at my age, as long as I am being courteous I should have the same in return. I have built a good friendship with my toy store owners and a few dollars is a well worth investment to have for their business. God Bless to all.  :)

Goofy.