Author Topic: Ordered a Sightron SII  (Read 982 times)

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
Ordered a Sightron SII
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
Been looking for a scope to mount on my Ruger GSR .308. I want something with a decent FOV so Im not really looking for a scout scope right now. I am going on a hunt in October and this will more than likely be the rifle I take, as it is the only rifle I have currently that is suited for 200 yd + shots, and I don’t really want to have to save for the trip AND save for another rifle so this one will get the nod.

Anyway, back on topic. I have been running a Nikon Prostaff and really like it, but I want something with a little more magnification. As I said above, I also want something with a pretty good FOV. The scope should also be bright (my prostaff is bright)… that is probably a hard order to fill, but that’s what I want…

Guess I could get a nightforce, but I just can not justify buying a $1300 scope right now (kinda takes me back to the reason I am not buying a rifle for the hunt)…

I also want to stick with a 32mm objective so I can keep the setup as low profile as possible. In my eyes it kind of defeats the purpose of having a compact rifle and then slap a big 50mm objective on it.

I have been looking at the Burris Timberline in 4-14x32 as it was the only thing I could find in my price range (under $300) that looked like it would be a decent scope. But I don’t care for an adjustable objective lens. I have a Leupold and a couple BSAs with them, and I can never make em work right for me. But I was prepared to buy it to get the other features I wanted...

Anyway, someone said they had a SightMARK and I read it as SightRON so I got to reading reviews of the Sightrons and liked what I saw for the most part. So I got to looking and found one on Ebay. Apparently they havent made em lately. This one is advertised as "as new in box" so I took the chance. I figured at just over $240 shipped it is probably more than I should have paid, but if it is in fact "as new" it should be ok. We'll see

It is a Sightron SII in 2.5-10x32 and is short… im hoping it is long enough to mount with existing rings that ruger provided. If not, I will order the XS full length rail and mount it to that via some strong "tactical" rings.something with bite.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sightron_SII_25-10x32.htm

Anyone running these? What are your thoughts?

Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline usherj

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Ordered a Sightron SII
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »
That is correct, that model is not made anymore. The only currently made compact that I'm aware of is their 4x. I haven't used that model, but have bought two SII 3-9x42s and one SII Big Sky 3-12x42AO. I've had the oldest for nearly 7 years, and have been completely satisfied with them. Nice, clear image, excellent tracking, true one piece tube, and good eye relief. Haven't had a single problem, great value for the money.  Hope you like yours

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »
Second post recently where someone has bought their scope first, then asked us for an opion later.  Maybe they want our vote of confidence but is seems backward to ask for advice after the purchase.

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
To charles,
I did a good bit of research before deciding. Kinda started this thread as a lead in to i guess a range report when it arrives but to also hear others opinions on the product im buying. Most reviews ive read onlIne have been like Usherj's, positive so i felt/ feel like i am doing ok. Butthere is always something out there negative. Maybe im lookin for it. :D
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 04:17:29 AM »
I have Several Sightron scopes including a Sightron SII 3-9x42.  For my money they are one of the better deals to be had in terms of optical performance and precision of adjustments.  I suspect that you'll be more than happy.

I bought my first SII used and it had an issue with an adjustment cap not staying tight due to stripped threads on the scope.  I called Sightron, explained that I had bought it used and their response was the same as you would get from Leupold or Burris "We warrant scopes, not buyers.  The faster you get it to us the faster we'll get it back to you."  They had it back about 2 weeks after I mailed it and had internally cleaned it, purged it etc.  It came back with new lens caps, extra turret caps and a new box.  They picked up the return shipping.

I've had similar dealings with Burris and Leopold over the years but feel that the quality of the Sightron is simply better at the price-point of the SII and SII Big Sky scopes.

Lance

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 05:03:47 AM »
Great! Thanks for the feedback!! If mine is as good as what im reading i think i may have a new favorite
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »
Sorry if I appeared negative.  I hoped I would appear logical.  Ask then buy, rather than buy then ask, seems to be more logical.  Surely you see my point.
Glad you did your research first.  Congratulations on your purchase.  Let us know how you like it.

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:18:59 AM »
Not negative at all! Id have made the same observation. No harm done. Now youre subscribed. :)
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »
Sightron made it. Gonna try and sight her in tomorrow.

Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »
Scope holds zero fine! Eye relief isnt as good as my prostaff but it is afairly bright scope. Im happy with it so far
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Jim Flinchbaugh

• Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 03:04:00 AM »
So how is it now?
I just picked one of these up on close out for 119.00 bucks! Might see if I can get another one :)

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 04:01:23 AM »
Where did you find one for $119?
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 04:30:08 AM »
Wow half price to mine! Very nice. 

I actually havent had a chance to shoot mine since...
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Jim Flinchbaugh

• Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 07:46:24 AM »
Where did you find one for $119?

Local store in NW Montana, they're dropping Sightron from their offerings

Offline Doe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »
How do the SII tract, do they tract well?  I would take a good tracting scope and sacrifice alittla clarity 8) .

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »
Mine tracked true. Sonething i cant say for a lot of the scopes ive used...
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Jim Flinchbaugh

• Photo Galleries
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »
I picked up mine yesterday, along with my new Handi in 7mm-08. Brass should be here tomorrow,
then I can start loading.
There is no clarity compromise with the SII I got yesterday, its amazingly clear.