Author Topic: Pushing a 357 Max on SB1  (Read 443 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Pushing a 357 Max on SB1
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »

So I'm wondering how much I should push my 357 Max on an SB1.  I using the SSP bullet (180 grs) over 20.0 grs of H110, small rifle primer, no crimp.  My average FPS is 1863 with a max of 1903 fps on ten shots. I printed the recipe from the Hodgdon website and it gave a max load of 21.0 grains.  Accuracy is OK, would like to see if more speed helps.  Anyone see a problem working up toward the 21.0 grs max?  Although I'll probably stop at 20.8 regardless.  Would a different powder be better for a lower pressure?

Thanks.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Pushing a 357 Max on SB1
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:02:07 PM »
I'd call Hodgdon and find out what the max pressure of that load is. The math is easy enough to do once you have that figure.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 06:24:31 PM »
I've had my best accuracy with aa1680 and I think the pressure is lower.  There has been much discussion on the maxi with 1680, I think the max load is 26.0, but the factory guy said they stopped at this point because of case fill, not pressure. All this is from memory.................... ;)   So, do your research and even give them a call or email.

I shot my SB1 up to max loads consistently.

One of these are 1 gr over, so use at your own risk.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 01:30:45 AM »
My first H&R maxi was a factory chambered MAXI in a M258. So mine is a pre SB1 receiver.

Load the cartridage for accuracy, up to the "book" max loadings and don't worry. That extra 75 or 120FPS you might get, going above max loadings, ain't gonna make the critter any "deader"...

Thats my 2 cents...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.