Author Topic: Chronograph - Variability in velocity of reloads v. factory rounds  (Read 354 times)

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
I reload.  I think I produce "consistent" loads.  The chronograph tells me I am lying to myself.

The Standard Deviation (SD) and Extremes of my reloads are UGLY compared to Sellers and Bellot 45 ACP, the latter of which are EXTREMELY consistent with SD of 12 fps for 10-shot strings.

I have to rethink how they get their machines to mass produce X million rounds with such consistency, while I believe (erroneously) that I am being so careful.  The SD of my reloads of 100+ fps is the Tale of the Tape.

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: Chronograph - Variability in velocity of reloads v. factory rounds
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:15:57 AM »
The proof is on the target though.

I dabbled in benchrest shooting just long enough to figure out that a great group over the chrony (es and SD) may not necessary translate to such a great group on paper. Some of my best bug holes were shot with loads that actually had some pretty crummy numbers

posted via mobile device.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:43:58 AM »
what powder, charge and primer are you using. You cant just throw anything together and get good sd. I do agree with rw dale though if your shooting at 50 yards or less it doesnt mean squat. Ive had good groups with loads in the 44 mag that varied over 200 fps.
blue lives matter

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »
I can say that I have never progressively (or otherwise) reloaded hand gun cases for purely "accurate" reasons.  I want every one of them to go BANG on demand, shoot EXTREMELY WELL at belly distance (just over arm's length), and VERY GOOD across a room.  If I can "waste" a man-sized silhouette at 5 yards  (say 5-inch or less group)...I'm calling that good (not saying that a 5-inch group is the best I can do).  Can I wring greater accuracy out - probably.  Do I need to?  So far, I am saying "no." 

45 ACP loadings are (have to get from load book at house later this evening and post):
X.X grains of IMR 700X, CCI X00 primer (LR), under 185 grain cast HP's
X.X grains of IMR 700X, CCI X00 primer (LR), under 2XX grain cast RN's