Author Topic: Boiled Brass  (Read 790 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Boiled Brass
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »

The tumbler media thread had a link to a previous thread about boiling brass.  I don't see how boiling the brass in Dawn could anneal it even slightly, but that doesn't mean I won't try it.  I hit Goodwill and picked up a couple dollar pot, washed it out and added some brass I will soon load.  A squirt of Dawn, and I boiled it for 20 minutes on a camp stove on the deck.  Let it cool a bit and then rinsed it.  The brass is once fired American Eagle ammo, it's ready to load and I had tumbled it in walnut and corn cob mix with Nu-Finish and a little mineral spirits.  I forgot to turn off the tumbler, so it tumbled overnight for about 12 hours total.  The boiled case is on the left.  Boiling in Dawn at least changes the color.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Boiled Brass
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »
 What are you boiling it for? annealing takes a bit MORE heat than boiling water can acheive. Besides you DO NOT want to anneal the head of the case.

Offline nitesite

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »
If you want clean bright shiny brass use Lemi-Shine, rinse, dry, and re-tumble. It'll amaze you how bright it becomes.  Nothing else comes close.
Police Officer
US Army Vet
Reloader
Bullet Caster
Dog Lover

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:58:34 AM »
Well how did it work boiling it?
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 03:14:03 AM »
Where you read about boiling your cases must have been from someone who shot black powder. You do need to wash in soapy water your cases fired with BP or it will eat them up. Boiling them would save some scrubbing I guess. I just deprime the cases with a Lee hand press with a fits all depriming die in it and drop my BP cases in a plastic jug with soapy water in it at the range. When I get home I pour them in a bucket and use a nylon brush to clean the inside then rinse them really well in HOT water and lay them out on an old towel to air dry. No need to boil or wash smokeless fired cases unless they are muddy etc. I use treated Lyman corncob media and it will really clean and shine them up.