Author Topic: UPS Store Will Not Ship Gun Parts via UPS  (Read 1469 times)

Offline unclemike

• Trade Count: (0)
UPS Store Will Not Ship Gun Parts via UPS
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
Hey, moderator! Was not sure where to post this. Feel free to move it to another section if need be.

Just had the most gobsmacking experience. The UPS Store will not ship gun parts via UPS.

I went to my local UPS Store to ship an H&R rifle (minus the barrel) back to H&R in order to get a new barrel. Just like the H&R website instructions say. First clerk nearly had a heart attack when I placed the parts butt first on the counter. She asked if it was a gun. I said no, it has no barrel, it is half a gun. The manager came over and said he needed to check with somebody and got on his cell phone. I asked, Don't you know your own policy? He said, It's for everybody's protection. Don't want to be on the TV news. I said people ship gun parts every day. He said, I still have to check.

After a brief conversation with someone (I don't know who) he asked where it was going to. I pointed to the printed H&R shipping form on the counter. More talk, then he hung up. We can't ship it. I pointed at the form and said, That's what it says to do.

NOW COMES THE KICKER.

He said, UPS can ship these parts, but we can't. I asked, You aren't UPS? He said, No, We are a retail location. You can take it to the main UPS terminal. In reply, I just picked up my stuff in shock and headed for the door. As I was leaving, he said, We can box that up for you. I told him to go to hell.

Who knew? The UPS Store can't ship via UPS.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: UPS Store Will Not Ship Gun Parts via UPS
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:25:03 AM »
Nothing new there, UPS stores and any UPS third party retailers have never been able to accept firearms or ammo.

Tim

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Shipping Firearms

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States), law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law, and when such shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally.
UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Follow These Packing Requirements
Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery.
All firearms are to be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines. Medium and large UPS boxes may be used for smaller shipments being shipped via UPS Express service.
All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications.
Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns). 
Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments, and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials.

About Documentation and Labeling
The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via, UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline unclemike

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »
Wow. Guess I'm just ignorant.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »

Not any more!!  ;)

Tim

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »
jus don't tell'um what it is.....as long as no ammo or combustible materials are inside your package, they ain't no law gainst it....well, shud i say roun here it ain't no law... ::)
i think if you tell any handler "itsa gun"...... they might run !!!
if itsa serial numbered item and you tell them,...example, receiver... then ffl documents mite be asked for to verify legitimate shipment information.
never hadda prollum with usps priority shipments..... ;)
an thats straight from tha horses mouth........don't ask who.. if i tellya, i'd havta killya ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:58:25 PM »
Would Fed-X be any different or better? Or anyone else you know of???
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 04:52:55 AM »
I prefer USPS Priority mail, never had a problem.....ever!  ;)

Tim

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 08:00:05 AM »
unclemike:  You are not shipping parts if the receiver is there.  Just the receiver alone is classified as a gun.  No barrel, no stock, no forearm, just the part with the serial number, legally it's still a gun.   

First have it packaged, not loose parts.  Second if the receiver (the part with the serial number) is there it's not parts, it's a gun.  Take it to the US Post Office, Unless asked don't say anything, just pay for insurance and shipping.  Postal Clerks don't want to announce to everyone in the post office there is a gun present, so keep the conversation about what you are shipping it to a minimum.

It is legal to ship long guns through the US Postal Office back to the maker for repair and service.   It is also legal to ship long guns from yourself to yourself.  Problem is some Postal Clerks don't know the regulations and have the assumptions that it is illegal to ship guns period.  When I go on vacation each year I mail a gun to my Brothers house or to my Dad's house, for hunting.  It is "NOT" legal to ship pistols through the Post Office, unless you have an FFL. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
Quote from: unclemike

::)

Yeah,  Quick 'splained the K.I.S.S. method.  :)

(keep yur mouth shut next time!, after you pak it yurself AT HOME!  in a MED priority box)

Offline sherppa

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 03:35:27 AM »
BAD expierences with UPS! 

Prefer USPS even if does cost more.  In the long run it is cheaper after dealing with UPS. 

Local delivery guys are ok to work with. 

But corporate were a bunch of............, I think you get the idea.

sherppa

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 03:47:07 AM »
Would Fed-X be any different or better? Or anyone else you know of???

fed-x is better as far as shipping  out....but still expensive

i like the POST OFFICE...especially for small hand guns  and recievers
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline ceadersavage2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
  • Love to have live 200 years ago
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »
Go to post office no problem

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 07:41:19 AM »
Maybe you should have boxed it up BEFORE you went to the UPS store. ;)
Just a thought.

Spanky

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
If you don't tell them what it is, then hope they don't lose it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~