Author Topic: Suggestions on a 223 Handi  (Read 974 times)

Offline LilHog

• Trade Count: (0)
Suggestions on a 223 Handi
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:59:01 AM »
Im in the market for a Handi in 223. They make several different models with 22" and 24" sporter and bull barrels, which model would be the most accurate? I generally like sporter barrels as they are lighter and more pleasing to my eyes, as long as they shoot good. So I guess my real question is, would a 22" sporter barrel be as accurate as a 24" bull barrel in a handi? My uses for this rifle are a small amount of hunting and a great amount of range shooting, mostly plinking.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Suggestions on a 223 Handi
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 02:05:21 AM »
Looking at a rifle to "see" if it is a shooter can't be done.  Getting this Forum to tell you which length is or isn't accurate, can't be done as your results may vary.  I have one of each (22" Sporter with 1 revolution in 12" rifling [1:12 twist] and 24" Bull barrel in 1:9 twist).  When time permits, I am still trying combinations.  The bull barrel was a tack driver until the circa 1969 Redfield Wideview scope failed.  The point is, the rifle has to be shot to confirm the result. 

I am fairly certain there are other length/twist combinations like:
22" Sporter in 1:9
24" Sporter in 1:9
24" Sporter in 1:12

22" Bull in 1:9
22" Bull in 1:12
24" Bull in 1:12

Twist rate to consider is for stabilization of shorter/lighter bullets (1:12) and longer/heavier bullets (1:9).  Length of .223 barrel to consider provides ~30 fps velocity for each additional 1" of barrel length as has "generally" been reported.  Your results may vary.

I figure you do not reload.  Given that, you can't tell in advance of purchase whether a particular barrel, receiver, and ammo combination is going to be accurate, you have to trust that you can mix and match components to achieve the level of success for which you are comfortable.  It will require work, time, a few extra $$'s, maybe some auspicious trading (of bullets or components), potentially some frustration, and eventually success. 

You are going plinking anyway, buy the rifle that makes YOU feel the most confident (the one you like to look at, the feel of, and to carry) and then start the comparisons.  Read the "Accurizing" Sticky at the top of this Forum.  Keep records of the changes made, both subtle and large.  You can purchase, trade, and switch barrels.  The factory will switch a warranty barrel for you.  You just have to invest yourself in the final determination. 

Offline LilHog

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:12:00 AM »
Land Owner, thank you for the reply and the wealth of information you put into that post. I understand there are variables in every rifle and everyone will shoot differently with different ammo. So I guess im going to have to pick one and give it a try, the handi SB2-223 with the 22" sporter barrel is where I will begin. This will be a new purchase and I already have a scope rail, rings, nikon scope, and a hammer extension ready to go. I have several thousand rounds of 223 ammo, mostly PMC and federal in 55g and 62g along with a bunch of russian steel case stuff. You are correct I don't reload, but maybe I just need a good reason to begin and this just might be it. Reloading has always fasinated me and I would really would like to give it a try, a lot more research will be needed on that before I knew where to start. This new addition will make my 5th handi and they all have been great so I'm sure this one will be no different. I've been looking for a 22mag also and that should do it for a while....I hope.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 04:33:23 AM »
I posted in another forum that it is a shame we can't purchase less than 20 per box "spotter" rounds for these tests so we don't end up with half boxes of Factory rounds that don't shoot well in our rifles.  That leaves $$'s on the table.  The USPO and 3rd Party Carriers prevent us from shipping live ammo to one another [LATE NOTE:  Forum Moderator informs me there is a Sticky at the top of this Forum that enlightens us in regard to UPS shipping of live ammo, which is legal, but may be costly, starting at $8 and up for just shipping]...besides the inherent mistrust of those who would do our rifles and us harm through their non-standard reloads.

If you tinker with your "new toy", keep it light.  You can most always change out components to modify it through the Handi-rifle Classified ads of GBO or sell it/trade it if you are ultimately dissatisfied.  Most importantly though, purchase the rifle that makes YOU the most comfortable as your shooting will broadcast your level of comfort.  And don't forget to Practice, Practice, Practice.  Aim small, miss small.  Perhaps you will get a sub-MOA rifle right out of the box.  Many have.  Still, it is well earned when you discover what does and does not make your rifle a shooter.

Save your spent .223 components, even the steel cases.  All are tradeable and/or reloadable.  I started where you are.  We all did.  I still do when confronting a new procedure, caliber or rifle I have not tried before.    We learn by inquisition.  I still do. 

Keep reading and posting.  There are NO DUMB QUESTIONS.  Even the ones that have been asked a dozen times.  Let us know how you are coming along.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 07:07:19 AM »
Since I use mine for larger than Coyote size game I sometimes like heavy for caliber bullets.  70 to 80gr.  I also like to shoot the lighter one as well, 50 and 55gr.  I use a Handi Ultra with 1 in 9 twist.  I use all Winchester componets behind Sierria or Hornady bullets.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
Good information by Land_Owner, but let me go a different way.As I am want to do.I suggest a sb2-sy3 COMPACT 223.20 INCH BARREL 1 IN 9 TWIST, light and with a little work can be very compact.Doug

a armed man is his own master

Offline LilHog

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
Canon6 I looked at that model sb2-sy3 in the very beginning, I actually liked it a lot. I was concerned that the light weight of it would create a little too much recoil. I know the 223 really doesn't have much recoil, but in that superlight frame it might punch pretty good. The size is perfect, short and compact I could make that work. My wife loves to shoot and she is a small woman, I think that rifle would become hers very quickly, like the first time she shot it. How does your shoot? How do you like that stock?

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »
here is my .223 SL..... its one of tha 2 most accurate handi's i have come across, but thatsa nuther story......... 8)

here's what she does @ 100yrd while warm'n up............. 8)

and here's what she does in tha rain, when there's $$$$ on tha line @ 100.............. ;D

and tha dollar signs are left of tha decimal.............. ;)

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »
Go ahead and buy the Youth model if you like it!  It is a little lighter but I don't believe you would really notice the recoil difference.  If you do, then just put a heavier laminated stock on it and you will be back to the same wt or maybe even just a little heavier than the stock 22" with a standard stock.  I have a standard 22" set up that way and I love it!  Great shooting gun.  I would not want to carry a bull barrel around at all, unless I did all of my shooting from a bench.  Whatever you choose, I'm confident that you will enjoy it.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
Go ahead and buy the Youth model if you like it!  It is a little lighter but I don't believe you would really notice the recoil difference...............44 Man   

I can back that one up.
I have a youth model with a synthetic stock set, 20" lightweight barrel, 1:12 twist and fixed sights.  I am very recoil sensitive due to neck injuries but this wisp of a gun in .223 is still quite gentle.  Believe me, if the recoil gets much above the mild-mannered .257 Roberts or the 6.5x55, I hurt for weeks.  The YM .223 is no where close to that.
I had intended to sell or trade the barrel - thinking it couldn't possibly shoot well in that configuration, but after firing a couple groups using Sierra 60 grain HPs in a load developed for a Ruger No. 3, I don't think it's going anywhere.  They weren't clover-leafs but if I ever get to doing some load development, I almost think it could do it.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 03:38:31 AM »
LilHog, I have thje worlds worst shoulder,I cannot stand any recoil at all. The 223 in that stock(ATI) is doable for me for a days shooting.Mine loves the Nosler 60 grain partition, and the Barnes 62 grain.IN addition all of the surplus 5.56 are usuable, and are a hoot to  shoot.  HTH   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline LilHog

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »
Thank you everyone for the wealth of information and helping me decide on a 223 model. I just placed an order for a superlight compact 223 SB2-SY3 and hopefully I'll have it in a week or so. I have several handi stocks, scope rails and various parts so customizing if need be should not be a problem. I'll post a pic when I get the rifle...... :)