Author Topic: 16th Century gun buried on beach  (Read 1139 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
16th Century gun buried on beach
« on: January 12, 2012, 01:24:36 AM »
A TEENAGER has found what is believed to be a 500-year-old Portuguese swivel gun on a Northern Territory beach.

A TEENAGER has found what is believed to be a 500-year-old Portuguese swivel gun on a Northern Territory beach.

The find may prove to be a significant historic "connection" between the Top End and the European nation.

READ: Ancient gun find could rewrite history

Christopher Doukas, 13, said he found the weapon when walking along Dundee Beach with his family in January 2010.

"I didn't have a clue about what it was," he said. "I thought it was a chair leg."

But his mother Barbara said her husband Vasilious, who passed away in May 2010, researched the item's heritage and believed it to be a 16th Century Portuguese swivel gun.

The Portuguese occupied Timor, about 650km north of Darwin, from 1515 until Indonesia invaded the country in 1975.

Ms Doukas said she contacted her local member, Gerry Wood, about the find once they knew what it was.

Mr Wood said it was an "important" discovery.

"The Portuguese were occupying Timor and the time and it may prove a connection with the Territory," he said.

He said he was aware of the Portuguese travelling to Perth, in Western Australia, on their way to Indonesia but never thought they stopped in the Top End.

Ms Doukas said the NT museum was interested in the cannon but added they had taken a long time to contact her about seeing it.

NT Heritage Department spokeswoman Sarah Gotch said museum curators were excited about the find but were unwilling to comment on the gun's significance until they examined it.

Ms Doukas said Christopher's father was responsible for the initial research and his death had caused some delays in getting the gun examined.

Christopher said he wouldn't have the weapon if it weren't for his father who carried the metre-long cannon up the beach.

Interesting.  Lots of speculation there.

6 photos here:  http://tools.ntnews.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup_preview.php?category_id=5301&offset=0
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 16th Century gun buried on beach
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:41:51 AM »
Very Cool!

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:11:25 AM »
This gun looks like it might have used small interchangeable breech chambers like little thunder mugs.
when did that innovation start?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:38:42 AM »
This gun looks like it might have used small interchangeable breech chambers like little thunder mugs.
In that time frame ... looks like it might have been in a fire.... the barrel is bent.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 05:10:00 AM »
In that time frame ... looks like it might have been in a fire.... the barrel is bent.....

I don't know that there would have had to been a fire involved.  That barrel is long and thin.  Uneven loading by sand could have bent it over the centuries. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:48:19 AM »
It could have been used as a post/piling to tie off a boat to... 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 06:18:55 AM »
Thanks for the post, subdjoe; that's an interesting barrel. In fact, I can't recall ever having seen such a small caliber in a breech loader of this type (removable chamber).
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 07:21:52 AM »
Thanks for the post, subdjoe; that's an interesting barrel. In fact, I can't recall ever having seen such a small caliber in a breech loader of this type (removable chamber).
Which makes me wonder if it might be a later Asian copy from the Phillipeans or?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 08:00:37 AM »
Yes, I would say that was definitely not a 16th century Portuguese gun, but a later Asian piece. Nothing on it to suggest Portuguese manufacture at all.

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »
Forgot to add there was a nice piece about it here, exploring more possiblities than just the 16th century Portuguese one:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8401465/did-the-portuguese-discover-australia

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 08:11:07 AM »
As facinating as this find is...   it will need very careful examination & comparison to known examples to attribute it's origins.  There are a lot of fakes...  even being made today. 

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 09:47:11 AM »
Good article, Bob, thanks.

This find will take a lot of fleshing out.  The statements in the original article seem to be made hoping to support one theory.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »
We're having a discussion of this on one of the Vikingsword forums:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=132067&posted=1#post132067

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 09:56:03 AM »
There has been an update to this story now; they have agreed with the general view of the "experts" that it is a south Asian lantaka: http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2012/04/02/297091_ntnews.html

Bob Smith