Author Topic: pricing question...n.i.b. Gardner  (Read 490 times)

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
pricing question...n.i.b. Gardner
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:42:33 AM »
A LGS has a n.i.b. never fired Pardner .410 from a Whitetails Unlimited banquet, walnut stock set with a Whitetails emblem made in Gardner. It sits right next to a plain jane Illion made .410, both youth models. My question is, how much of a premium is placed on Gardner vs. Illion made, money wise? Or is that simply personal preferance? I'm seeing alot of wheeling and dealing on stock sets in the classifieds, so that part is o.k. A new, never fired reciever from Gardner would be what I'm interested in, just have to decide HOW interested...Thanks!

Scott B.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: pricing question...n.i.b. Gardner
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »
I would suppose it would depend on what you want to do with it.  If you want it to shoot then it is probably worth about $130.00 which is what you can get them at Walmart for.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
Personally I would pay a little more for a Gardner gun in comparable condition since I think they are finished a bit nicer overall. I'd go maybe 10% more for a Gardner gun with case colors and maybe as much as 20% more for one with case colors and walnut stocks. I wouldn't particularly care for the medallion, but that's just personal preference. All the above said, I'm partial to Choate buttstocks and forends on any plain-jane H&Rs.       

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:40:33 PM »
Personally, I don't think there is much of a difference between the Gardner guns and the Ilion guns.  I really don't think that there is much of a noticeable difference in the finish.  But that just my opinion. trotterlg is correct in saying if your buying the gun to shoot, $130 is about what it's worth. 

Keep in mind, if your buying the gun to use, the youth stock unless it fits your stature, will not allow you to shoot the gun properly.  While you can buy an adult stock here, and switch off to use while shooting the gun,  you then would have to ask yourself, why did you spend the extra money for the walnut stock?  Also the medallion serves no purpose on a working gun.  So keep those facts in mind before you make up your mind which gun you want to buy, and how much you are going to spend.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 04:33:59 AM »
The walmart guns are not walnut, so it's worth more. :)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 05:31:44 AM »
The walmart guns are not walnut, so it's worth more. :)
The walnut stock is just window dressing, the walnut doesn't make the gun shoot better.

The question is; are you buying the gun to shoot or for looks?

And the pain when the walnut stock gets accidentally dinged!   :'(
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 01:09:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies, when H&R-itis kicks in it's good to hear the voices of reason with good counsel! I have been on a .410 kick lately, and this one caught my eye....mostly to store away for future projects. Thanks again!~

Scott B.