Author Topic: My first HMR Mortar Arrived  (Read 614 times)

Offline Scout.308

• Trade Count: (0)
My first HMR Mortar Arrived
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:37:57 PM »
Just got my first GB mortar from Ed at HMR.  It's a beauty and the service was excellent!

I've filled a dozen hollow plastic practice golf balls with mortar, 2.5oz each.  They're cured and ready for the range.  Measured the powder chamber, it's 140grains.  Now I'm just waiting for a nice day!

Any ballpark load suggestions for sending a GB only 100yards or so?
Any suggestions for sharpest salute loads?  (I know, not ideal, but it's what I've got!)
Any suggestions for maximizing smoke and flames for salutes? I'm a photographer, and I wanna play!
  - would a half-cup of flour help?
  - would finer FFFFg or corser Fg powders produce the best S&F show?
  - other ideas?

Thanks, guys.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: My first HMR Mortar Arrived
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:01:41 AM »
Congratulations on a fine Mortar by an excellent maker.  Regarding powder loads, try starting small. say 30 grains or so of F or 2F. It will take less than you'd think.  Nothing helps smoke and flames shots as much as  low light situations.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
Flour should be OK as an inert "frangible" shot but there is no excess oxygen in the combustion products of black powder and it is unlikely to burn significantly.  It probably will increase the report because its mass will increase the pressure behind it.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dynomike1x1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »
I put 1/2" in a pill bottle to shoot 100yrds. One the other hand i'm srooting 2.25" balls. My Morter came from Dom and i dont know how it could get any better.
There are very few probablms that can't be solved with explosives.
2/115FA

Offline Scout.308

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:50:26 AM »
The flour was something I had heard of using to increase the apparent "smoke" for photography, not for any sort of propulsion.  Any thoughts, gentlemen?

Also, any techniques for maximizing report, or, smoke and flames?  Powder packing, wad/no-wad, grain size?

Thanks!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:58:13 AM »
The flour was something I had heard of using to increase the apparent "smoke" for photography, not for any sort of propulsion.  Any thoughts, gentlemen?

Also, any techniques for maximizing report, or, smoke and flames?  Powder packing, wad/no-wad, grain size?

Thanks!

If you want more noise you get a cannon.

Watch this video and even with bad audio you can tell the difference between cannon and a mortar.

Offline Triple D

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »
If you want to try something different than filling practice golf balls with mortar, get some PVC pipe 1 & 11/16", cut to size and fill it with concrete.
I wore Confederate Gray back in the day