Author Topic: Turn on off or Leave computer on all the time  (Read 1294 times)

Offline ourway77

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (134)
Turn on off or Leave computer on all the time
« on: May 08, 2012, 12:18:05 AM »
Which is the best method? I had a Dell that ran flawlessly for 6 years and I left it on all the time. Just got a New Dell 8300 and the person who set it up advised to turn the computer off when not in use? Wht us your take? Lou
It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Turn on off or Leave computer on all the time
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:35:48 AM »
  Me too.. not being a computer whiz...I'm wondering...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:12:34 AM »
Only time I turn mine off is when the power goes off or if an electrical storm is on top of us and I figure power is likely to go soon. We lose power here often anything from a temporary blink to a few hours at a time. I have a UPS backup but when the power goes off the beeping it makes is too aggravating so I just turn everything off.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 06:04:02 AM »
I turn mine off at night when I'm not using it, a PC uses more electrity than you think, leaving it on when you're not using it is a waste of money that could be used of other things like more guns and ammo!  ;D

Tim

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-much-is-a-kilowatt-hour.htm

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question328.htm

One reason why you might want to turn it off is economic. A typical PC consumes something like 300 watts. Let's assume that you use your PC for four hours every day, so the other 20 hours it is on would be wasted energy. If electricity costs 10 cents per kilowatt-hour in your area, then that 20 hours represents 60 cents a day. Sixty cents a day adds up to $219 per year.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=f&oq=PC+on+all+the+time+or+off+everyday&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHP_en___US445&q=PC+on+all+the+time+or+off+everyday&gs_upl=0l0l1l2322748lllllllllll0
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ourway77

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (134)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 06:11:34 PM »
Thanks I think I will go half way I will turn of at night. My daughter set me up to the tune of $2500.00 but it is sure fast, alot faster than my old one I am learning all over with all the bells and whistles. I put the old one in my wifes area and It's still going strong. Thanks for the replies Lou
It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.

Offline yellowtail3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 05:30:04 AM »
The desktop goes into suspend.
I drop the laptop into Hibernate at night - zero power usage, no battery wear. Being is suspend wears battery a tad.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:55:51 AM »
Mine just goes to sleep.  Hard drive stops spinning.  Wiggle the mouse and it wakes up.  Monitor turns itself off when unattended.  Probably do a cold restart monthly to clean up glitches.