Author Topic: winchester model 140 wont eject a fired shell  (Read 979 times)

Offline Jeff R.

• Trade Count: (0)
winchester model 140 wont eject a fired shell
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »
Hi guys

Just picked it up tonight...guy says it wont eject shells after firing (did'nt try yet) but it does eject an empty (have tried) that is chambered and manually ejected by hand.  Any thoughts on why it may not eject a fired shell???  maybe it just needs a good cleaning??

thanks in advance for your thoughts

JLR

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
Re: winchester model 140 wont eject a fired shell
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:57:34 PM »
I will Assume you're talking about a Winchester autoloading shotgun (a version of the 1400). Check the extractor spring and the claw to be sure the sprin is strong enough and the hook is sharp. Also check the chamber as many times such behavior is due to rusty chambers.. You should have already cleaned the gun thoroughly of course.. so just polish the chamber a bit with steel wool and an electric drill. Be cautious with the 1400's as they have many problems with extractor breakage. If you have further questions I check in of the 'gunsmithing thread as regularly as I can...
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline spruce

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 02:58:19 AM »
Owned a 1400 years ago (for a short time) and it wouldn't eject low brass loads reliably.  Worked fine with 1 1/4 oz high brass loads.
Don't know if that's characteristic of the breed or just peculiar to the one I owned.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »
140, 1400, Ranger, not sure how much difference there is between them. My brother had a couple 1400's, the only thing they would eject reliably and consistently was slugs. He bought the second one for a parts gun...
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife