Author Topic: Hello from another new member!  (Read 402 times)

Offline Kid Kneestone

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello from another new member!
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:23:21 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but have been building and shooting cannons and mortars since 1979.  I used to put on a cannnon/mortar shoot (starting in 1989) until the range we use changed hands 3 years ago.  The new owners have a bunch of high priced attorneys that don't understand the fun to be had firing these types of guns!  That was too bad.  Dave Cumberland, "The Old Western Scrounger", was a friend and always brought something unusual to our events to shoot.  I will try to share some details on a few of the odd guns that came here to play.

I have built a 40 mm Whitworth with steel carraige and handmade 42" wood spoke wheels, a 1/2 scale 1841 6lb fieldpiece (2 1/4" bore), assorted mortars firing golf balls, juice cans, coke cans, and bowling pins, plus a bowling ball mortar.  Also constructed a replica of a Leonardo da Vinci mortar that fires 10oz cans of concrete, that I copied from a 1/17th scale model made in Italy.  All have been sold off except the Da Vinci mortar.  It is too cute and my wife likes it so it stays!

If it is OK, I have copies of some old cannon plans I would like to sell, plus a few other items I have created?

I look forward to your posts,

Kid Kneestone

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
Re: Hello from another new member!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »
Welcome aboard. Lotta good folks here. Frank

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »
Welcome, Kid Kneestone, your gonna like it here! Sounds like you have been building for a long time, got some videos you would like to share? BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 11:13:47 PM »
Welcome aboard, Kid K! This here is a great place to come to. Lots of knowledgable people and lots of info. I know what you mean about ranges changing hands and different priorities. Sounds like we shoot at the same range.

When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 03:25:02 AM »
Welcome to the gathering Kid! 

If you are cleaning out the closet and selling some extra gear put the stuff up for sale on the classifieds.  If you have a side business selling stuff sign up to be a GBO Sponsor.

Dave Cumberland----wow the goes back some years....Last time I saw Dave was just after he finished his new house up at  Montague and he was still mad at the contractor  for not building the house at the right angle so he could sit in his easy chair and look straight at Mt.  Shasta.  His place was easy to find.  Not many people have 16 inch shells as gate post.

Post some pictures of  your gun.

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 04:23:07 AM »
I used to go down for the misery shoot whenever I could, always a good time. I'm guessing cannon shooting at the Simpson range is done for good? Glad to have you here
Bob

Offline Kid Kneestone

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »
Thanks for the kind welcome. 

The "Misery Shoot" that Bob (rmagill) mentioned was named that because of the somewhat inclement weather we endure here in Humboldt County, CA during February!  On more than one occasion we had to service and load our guns under umbrellas and then take cover until it was our turn to fire.  The best fuze to have was the gray wire lined fuze that would burn under water.

Dave Cumberland brought an 1887 Navy 37mm Landing Gun a couple of times to our shoots.  Very interesting breech loader with a shoulder stock and a seat on the wheeled carraige for the gunner.  He came once with an ammo can containing 20 rounds of original 1898 dated HE projectiles that he fired that weekend.  Only 2 did not explode when they hit downrange.  Not bad for over 100 year old ordnance.

I will try to find some old photos to share.  Sorry I don't have any videos.

What is the best way to add photos to my posts?

Kid Kneestone