Author Topic: Surplus cannon carriage for sale in Georgia  (Read 1591 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Surplus cannon carriage for sale in Georgia
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
It appears to be full scale.  Although I'm not positive.  There is what looks to be maybe a coffee table standing on one end by a wheel.  The wheel is taller than the table.
It has a broken leveling screw but the other metal work I can see appears to be regulation. 
The wheels might need to be looked at.
It will be interesting to see where this one goes.  A new one is $7500 - $9000 depending on where it comes from.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »
The trunnion caps may be missing.  However, at the last bid that I looked at the metal parts are worth more than that.  Very tempting.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:05:20 PM »
The peoblem is unless you can inspect you don't know what it is made of.... I knew someone who had a very nice set of cheeks with all the "iron work" they were profesonally made...... the wood was pine and the iron work was Aluminum........ so unless you can get there and inspect bid accourdlingly........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
There was speculation on another forum that the carriage is cast iron.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »
Interesting carriage that appears to be full size. None of the parts that I can see well are made close to the original drawings. The trunnion irons and D-rings appear to be pure LaPan foundry and made of cast iron. My guess is that the lunette and the few other pieces of hardware that LaPan made are also mounted on the carriage. Overall, not a bad looking carriage. I would want to check out the wood before I bid on it, especially the wheels.
Max

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 05:27:50 PM »
If that is a metal carriage they included splintered and crack wood for character.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 05:46:17 PM »
So, does anyone live close enough to go take a look? I'd like to have it but it's not likely that I can take the time to go and really look.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 06:56:23 PM »
someone wants it bad, has it on auto bid. For more info call Daniel Iliev @ (404) 657-8544

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 01:29:55 AM »
someone wants it bad, has it on auto bid.
Auto bidding is just the smart way to buy on Ebay. Simply decide what you are willing to pay for an item and bid that amount. Your early bid has priority so you beat out the last second bidders and bid snatcher programs.
The only way to lose is when someone is willing to pay more than you.

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 03:32:45 AM »
LittleSeacoast don't you have a barrel without a home? Good luck to everyone interested on this one.
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 04:19:10 AM »
Well, I think that Parrott has found a good home with LS, he just hasn't found a proper place for it to rest yet; or is that nest?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 05:48:16 AM »
The Parrott barrel from Florida has found a home but still needs a permanent mount. Currently mounted on a temporary barbette type carried on my utility trailer.  Way too heavy to move otherwise, it keeps telling me build another #1 field just for me.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »

Auto bidding is just the smart way to buy on Ebay. Simply decide what you are willing to pay for an item and bid that amount. Your early bid has priority so you beat out the last second bidders and bid snatcher programs.

Not wanting to argue the point, but I agree, proxy bidding is a good method.  I'm not sure however it can beat out bid sniping, if that's what is meant by "bid snatching."  Bid sniping programs throw in a last-seconds bid calculated to exceed the top bid they "see."  Comment?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »
Last second bidding (call it whatever else you wish) is a good thing if you have the time and are able to be online when the auction is about to close.  But some sites are keeping the auctions open if there is activity in the last few minutes, extending the bid time until the new bids stop coming for at least 5 minutes.  So it depends on the site.

Unless you "have" to have it, the best thing to do is an auto-bid for the most you are willing to pay, and it keeps you from getting caught up emotionally in the competition.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 10:49:55 AM »
Well if anyone here on this site is bidding on the carriage, good luck. It looks like it is in great shape and will do someones cannon well.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »
Not wanting to argue the point, but I agree, proxy bidding is a good method.  I'm not sure however it can beat out bid sniping, if that's what is meant by "bid snatching."  Bid sniping programs throw in a last-seconds bid calculated to exceed the top bid they "see."  Comment?
The earlier bid has priority, if they are willing to spend more than you, it's possible for them to win.
A bid sniping program only bids $1.00 over the top bid. If your max bid is for example $45.00 over your proxy high bid in the last 10 seconds when the snipe program kicks in, it has to bid 46 times before it takes the high bid, and 10 seconds just isn't enough time.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »
The govliquidators site will not take bids that are only $1 over the current bid.  They have a sliding scale of minimum increments that increases with the current bid value.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 10:33:52 PM »
A bid sniping program only bids $1.00 over the top bid. If your max bid is for example $45.00 over your proxy high bid in the last 10 seconds when the snipe program kicks in, it has to bid 46 times before it takes the high bid, and 10 seconds just isn't enough time.

If you are talking about Ebay, the popular snipe programs don't need 10 seconds to wind up with the high bid, I can guarantee it, that's why they allow you to throw in a bid down to one second remaining, if you like.