Author Topic: fun times indoors since its still winter outside  (Read 611 times)

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
fun times indoors since its still winter outside
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
 I have 2 new Handi barrels, and 2 old Handi barrels, and they have all been factory fitted to my receiver. I usually like scope mounting, mostly because it's always gone off without much of a hitch.
I finally got the 2 old barrels (223 and 357 maxi) sighted in. It shouldn't have been so hard because I was putting the same bases, mounts, and scopes back on the same barrels, but it took more error than trial. But it was worth it, they are both back to their beautiful accurate selfs.
The 2 new barrels (35 Rem and 243 Win) are another story. The 35 is shooting so high I've run out of adjustment. The 243 is shooting so low that I've run out of adjustment. I realized that shimming bases was in order. I ordered an assortment, and by chance found a useful little pamphlet on the Bushnell site called "Shim Guide". It gives expected change in point of impact per thickness of shim at 4 distances. It also tell where to shim for "up" versus "down". That was a handy discovery because what they say is counter-intuitive. To make matters worse, I buggered the elevation knob on the 243 scope, so its going to Bushnell for repair and annual checkup. Three of my barrels have the same Bushnell scope, but the 35 scope is a different model, the Banner 1.2-4.5X33, which I have had on my 788 for decades . The Banner has even less clearance over the hammer spur, so I may shim a little just to get all my scopes a little more hammer clearance.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
Re: fun times indoors since its still winter outside
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:49:04 AM »
Since this was "having fun indoors" did you run out of adjustment while boresighting?  When you boresight (look through the barrel then look throught the scope) you're trying to bring the scope to the point you see in the barrel.  If so everything is reversed from bringing the point of impact to the crosshairs.  Turn the adjustment down to bring the crosshairs up and vice versa.  I did this once and made me feel like an idjit.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:00:19 AM »
Check your rings. The first thing that came to my mind was a mis matched pair.

IE you have a tall and a med mixed on each gun only you have the tall ring on the front of one gun and the back on the other.

Generally handi's do not have a height problem this way.

Some generations of bolt guns did, especially Mauser 98's as many countries and diff manufacturers made them. I find that most ofter I need to shim there bases to get the elevation adjustment I need. Domestic commercial receivers rarely have this and firearms like the handi where the mount is directly to the barrel it's not common to need shimming.

Good luck,

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:35:17 AM »

I stumbled on this before I mounted my last scope.  I held the scope against the mirror in the bathroom, took less than a minute to center the reticle.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,150603.msg10986310 53.html#new

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:00:21 AM »
I AGREE with cw ;D

Bring back the buttons, makes for less typing ;D

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
On the 35 Rem, I took a deep breath, centered the reticles, and started over. I got it sighted in OK, and shot some 1 1/2" 3 shot groups at 50 yds. OK so far ! All my other barrels have the same Bushnell scope on them, and "high" rings have worked fine. On the 35 I have a Bushnell Banner, and it really needed about 1/16" more clearance over the hammer. I looked hard and found Weaver extra-high Sure Grip rings that give 0.506" clearance. They are steel, and have 2 screws on each side. The original Weaver rings with screws on only one side made me crazy; getting the reticle leveled was very hard, since the screws always rotated the scope a little. Anyway, I just bore sighted it with the extra-high rings and fired a confirming shot, and I'm good to go.
On the 243, I finally decided to send the scope to Bushnell to make sure the adjustments were doing what they should, and to replace the cheap little plastic finger knob on the elevation adjustment. For the last 4 days, their repair status page has said that they are preparing to ship. Hmmm....right ! I recently sent them some binos to fix, and they were a lot faster. Anyway, a lifetime warranty is good, so I'm just waiting patiently...
Thanks for the helpful comments, guys !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:37:11 AM »
On the 35 I have a Bushnell Banner, and it really needed about 1/16" more clearance over the hammer. I looked hard and found Weaver extra-high Sure Grip rings that give 0.506" clearance.
 Anyway, I just bore sighted it with the extra-high rings and fired a confirming shot, and I'm good to go.

Thanks for the helpful comments, guys !

I am at a total loss with your numbers...

You mentioned you need a extra 1/16" and settled for more than a 1/2" (.506) and its OK...

WE have had a couple threads about hi mounted scopes. Some like them high most others not so much. What ever you like is yours deal and just fine. I am just wondering.

Good call on returning the Banner for a check up! The way many of these older scopes work nets you less adjustment if your windage settings are at or near the extreams...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: fun times indoors since its still winter outside HEY CW !
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
CW - Yeah, I see that my numbers weren't real clear, sorry !
The "high" rings I had to start with were 0.386" from the top of the base to the bottom on the inside diameter of the ring. That height was just not quite enough, I guessed about 1/16th" or 0.0625". The "extra high" ring, at 0.506, is 0.120" higher than the "high" ring: twice what I really needed, but by that point I didn't care, I just didn't want the hammer to hit the power-change ring anymore !
Yesterday I got out the Chrony: my 160 LRN gave me 1421 fps, the 180 SSP gave me 1948, and the 200 FTX gave 1873. The lead bullet was with 2400, the other two with Varget. Hoping to nudge 2000 fps, today I loaded 3 of each jacketed bullet with H4895. Hopefully tomorrow will be nice, dry chrony weather. Also tomorrow I should get the scope back for the 243, and a red lacquer stix from Brownells. I have a hard time reading the chambering mark on the barrels, and I figured a spot of red would help and look good too !