Author Topic: Light woods gun: 20 ga Tamer?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline SpookyPistolero

• Trade Count: (0)
Light woods gun: 20 ga Tamer?
« on: November 29, 2009, 05:51:06 PM »
Hi folks!

I nice gent over on THR sent me this way, to the experts.  ;) I was hoping you all could help a bit!

I've been on the hunt now for quite a while for a good woods loafing single shot shotgun, and love the H&R brand.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to go about it though.  I think a 20 ga is the best choice right now, and I want a fairly compact overall package.  So if I don't want to visit a gunsmith, I think that's gonna be a youth model or the Tamer.

The problem with the Tamer is the site says it's a full choke, and I'm leaning towards a modified choke.  A fellow on THR said, however, that this is a misprint and the 20 gauge tamer is in fact a modified choke.  Is this the case?  It'd be quite a shame to spend the money and find out I was given false info!

Thanks for any help!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Light woods gun: 20 ga Tamer?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 06:03:55 PM »
Welcome! Website says full choke, but it wouldn't be hard to make your own Tamer with a blued 22" mod barrel, all H&R stocks fit all of their firearms, the stock is available from H&R, Brownell's, Midway and the mfr, Choate Machine, you can get barrels, stocks and frames in the classifieds here too, fit you own barrel per the info in the FAQs and Help sticky.  ;)

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tamer.asp

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »
I have a tamer in 410 and find it a great plinker/small game unit. Most of my shots would hit a tree past 50 feet. The 20 will reach quite a bit further than the 410. Chokes vary a lot for each gun, if you could try the tamer 20 it may perform the way you want in the full choke.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline TYM2MOTR

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:57:25 AM »
I bought a Tamer 20 with a modified choke a few years ago @ Gander Mountain and have seen a few more on the racks there since.  Most online sites offer it in full, like ableammo.com/ but Lipsey's has it listed in modified.   (the picture Lipsey's has posted is a 410, the 20 holds 3 shells)

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=98869

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=HRSB1-SN2&mfg=h+and+r&family=Snake+Tamer

The UPC codes listed on both these pages are the same, which doesn't seem right to me.  I remember thinking I had a real find when I bought mine as I called H&R and was told it was only made in full.  Maybe someone else here can verify that there actually is a full choke 20 Tamer model out there, I have never seen one.

( I just dug out the original box to my 20 Tamer Mod and the UPC code is also the same )

Offline SpookyPistolero

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:08:24 AM »
Thanks guys!

I actually went perusing at some shops, and my favorite just happened to have the H&R 20 ga Pardner youth in stock!  It's perfect actually.  Wood stocks though.

So question two: how the heck do I remove & switch the stocks on the shotgun and an H&R .45-70 with synthetic furniture.  Simply removing the screw that holds on the forend, for example, isn't allowing it to come off.  And on the wood buttstock, there's no visible screw to the pistol grip even after removing the butt plate.  Help? 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 07:16:33 AM »
The stock bolt threads into the tang of the frame,  you'll need a 9/16"(14mm) socket on a long extension to reach it, the forend just pulls down and away from the barrel after removing the forend screw, sometime they're real tight. All of this info is in the FAQs and Help sticky, a great place to start learning about H&Rs.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SpookyPistolero

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:58:34 AM »
My apologies!  I know it's frustrating to repeat basics. I actually did visit the voluminous sticky but a ctrl-F search using basic keywords didn't seem to find the right source.

I did get it all figured out though, thanks for your help!  I now have my ideal woods scattergun.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 11:41:40 AM »

Great little guns aren't they? ;D ;D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline SpookyPistolero

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
Just in case anyone is interested, here are some crappy indoor pics of the new setup.  I love it!!!!  Maybe I'll name it the Handi-Pardner?

Offline Swampyankee25J

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 02:10:11 AM »
I'm on the lookout for a 20ga tamer. I also have a set of the the old Savage four-tenner tubes, so I can shoot .410's and have double the fun.  Nice looking light weight woods gun.